• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hosta question

MNHunter65

After the freezing temps the past few nights, it looks like some of my hostas took a hit. Most of them were up 10" or so. If I cut them down will they regenerate or will I have to wait until next year? Any other suggestions? Thanks

If you cut them down they should regenerate. I'm not really sure what you should do, though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Yesterday and today I finally took last Fall's leaves off of my hostas. Most of the hosta had yet to even candle. Might I suggest next year you mulch your hosta heavy and leave the mulch on late as you can or until it's safe of frost.

Yeah, that's been pretty much my experience with them. When we remodeled a few years back I ran over one clump with the tractor numerous times as I'd forgotten it was there. Besides it was dark out and there was a lot of junk to clean up. It was just before freeze up and I really mashed the snot out of it. I said nothing about it, fully expecting a good reaming from the social director when it was discovered dead in the spring. I purposely didn't bring it up and it came through just fine. I am not in any way shape or form advocating running over your hostas with a tractor however. smile

Hostas are a VERY hardy plant. They will grow and expand. You can pull them out of the ground now and cut them by the root and plant the separations and they will flourish. That is how I get free hostas.

haha on running over the hosta Dotch. Glad it made it through!

I move and am cleaning up the gardens. While thinning out the crazy hostas do you guys ever plant them at the side of woods or anywhere?

I guess I can just move some around and see if they grow to make some nice hosta gardens where nothing much else will grow.