• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maple Trimming

lindy rig

I bought two Red Maples last fall. 2" diameter trees, balled and burlaped and delivered. Looks like they are budding out now.

I noticed a couple of the smaller branches are damaged...... and a couple other smaller ones should probably be trimmed for growth reasons (twisting branches, ect)

Is it OK to trim them now... or should I wait?

The guys who post on here and do this sort of stuff professionally are probably out doing just that so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My recollection is that maples generally can be trimmed about any time although they may tend to weep if the sap is still running. If they're 2" diameter trees, as long as they're small branches and the intended pruning is not too severe, I'd say it's OK.

It is perfectly acceptable to be trimming maples. Do not be alarmed by any maple sap that weeps out. Your tree is not bleeding.

The rule is to not remove more than 1/3 of the tree. It sounds like you're only making some small trims. I would keep it light, especially if they are new plantings.

As Powerstroke said, no problem with some trimming. Generally with a few very important exceptions (such as oaks) you can prune trees anytime. Though it is still best to do it in the dormant season. The bigger issues are how much to prune (Powerstroke is right again) and technique. There are plenty of documents on pruning out there so a search will get you some good pics of the correct way. Basically, just past the wide part (branch collar) on the twig as you move away from the stem is the right spot. And depending on branch size, a couple of methods to make sure you don't tear are available. Good Luck!