• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to expect at the state trails.

mnmofro

So I picked up a 2011 Grizzly and was thinking about getting her out to a state trail to tool around on a little. What should I expect when I go to one the these trails? Other than appleton it looks like a lot of them are rated as easy, which is fine, just curious if there are wierd nuances or rules of the trails I should know about. Are a lot of the trails just old railroad tracks ect. or is there some decent terrain to at least entertain a dude every now and then?

Thanks

There really isn't any special rules when riding state trail expect, in the spring time the DNR closes trails and forest roads until things dry out. Which in this spring isn't a problem you can check the list of closures on the DNR's web site. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/trailconditions/index.html

As far as terrain goes. That depends on the trail. Theres lots of old railroad grades around the state, such as the soo line. Bring goggle if your going to ride those type of trails since dust can get pretty bad. But trails like Red Top offer single track routes through small mud holes(nothing that you have to worry about getting stuck in) and up and over some hills. The Iron Range park offers steeper hill climbs and a big mud hole to play in.

I agree Red Top would be a good starting point to put the machine through it's first paces. If you drop off at the trail head in Isle, you'll have to ride 4 1/2 miles down the Soo Line to get there. Also note there is a speed limit on the Soo Line. I've seen cops out there with radar guns a few times. wink

No weird rules, make sure the machine is licensed and if you were born after July 1, 1987 you must have completed the ATV CD Training Course.

Other good trails to ride are Nemadji, St. Croix and General CC andrews, all pretty easy with some good views, lots of actual trail riding. Not just a gravel road for miles.

Have fun wheeling, I know we do.