• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jet drive outboard --experiences??

motownmasher

i'm looking at getting a new boat with an outboard jet drive. right now i'm thinking a g3 1652 with a yamaha 60/40 jet drive. wondering if anyone out there is running a similar setup (jonboat w/jet) and there opinions. also some say the center keel needs to be cut out on any jon with a jet. some say it isn't necessary on all models. hoping to hear what people are using and any/all mods required to get the boat setup correctly. jackplate? g3 offers a jet engine rig kit. has anyone used this setup? results?

I run a regular jon 1648 with a merc 60/40 jet. There is no better option for shallow water. The only real down fall is weeds, if your going threw any your going to have troubles. I run a jack plate but once you set it you dont move it. Too high and you cavetate to low you create excess drag.

The first thing I would consider is stepping up to a 90/60. IMO that 60/40 might be a dog on a 1652 once you start loading it up with any weight.

I've had the pleasure of fishing out of a G3 jet setup quite a few times the past few years and it's a great rig.

i'm glad to hear people doing it successfully with a similar rig. how about the center keel on the bottom? is it removed on the g3, or the 1648aluma. bigger motor not an option on the 1652 as it is rated for a 50hp. even the 1756 has the same rating. i would prob go with the 1756 if it had the 60hp rating. what is the model g3 you talk of. tunnel hull?

If you are purchasing new. I would get a center console to help distribute the weight. I don't think you will need to do anything like cutting the keel. I have a SeaArk 1860 with a 115/80 no tunnel. If you do get a tunnel make sure it is a shallow tunnel for jet drives. They also make a deeper tunnel to be used with prop motors. I am in Elk river and if you get up this way I could take you for a spin.

I run a 2007 1960 roughneck flat bottom with a 115/80. No need to remove the center keel. You shouldn't need a jack plate if you raise the transom up 7". Try to get the biggest motor you legally can. My boat is rated for up to a 105 hp (150/105) and wish I would have went with that set up instead of 115/80.