• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluebird question...

dockothebay

This little guy and his mate have been hanging out in our backyard for over a week. That in itself is a first in 35 years! Within 5 minutes of adding "fresh" mealworms to the feeder they are here. I have a nest box about 5 feet from this feeder, and although I see them go in and out, they have not started a nest in it. I know we have neighbors with boxes as well. Is it possible they are just using me as a feeding station? Or do you think they are still scouting for a nesting spot?

No matter, it's been a treat to watch them - and they are very protective of the area, I've seen more than one squirrel get a noggin-knock!

Awaiting your wise responses!

IMG9836-L.jpg

I would say if they have been there for a week now you have a real good chance of them staying. Also when you put out meal worms try ring a bell, horn , clap your hand or any type of loud sound. The blue birds will soon learn to come every time you ring the dinner bell.

Thanks Dan and Eye-

I would say if they have been there for a week now you have a real good chance of them staying. Also when you put out meal worms try ring a bell, horn , clap your hand or any type of loud sound. The blue birds will soon learn to come every time you ring the dinner bell.

Awesome! I'll try it - Thank you too!

Bluebirds can take a long time "courting" before they begin building their nest. My guess is that they will stay and nest there all season if the first nest is not vandilized in any way, and, all the chicks fledge. I recomend you moving your feeder and house farther apart. Bluebirds are very teratorial and if other bluebirds come to eat at your feeder you have a mess!! You can move it 25 to 30 feet away from the feeder and have a better nesting location!

John

Ohio Bluebird Society