• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions on 99 Tyee vs 02 fisherman

guyonacouch

I have 2 boats I'm thinking about and wanted some advice. One is a 99 1850 Lund Tyee with a 175 2stroke Mecury and 9.9 kicker the other is a 2002 1700 fisherman with a 115 4 stroke yamaha. Both are in great shape and have comparable options. The fisherman is more expensive but I think I'd rather have the 4 stroke motor and have been leaning in that direction. Thoughts? Thanks!

Whichever one you go with, make sure the transom isn't rotted out. There are caps on the stern that do not keep water out. As the boat sits in the water, rain, lake water, etc. run down the gunnel and flow into this cavity. If they have been meticulously maintained (covered after use) they will not dry out completely. The original wood they used was not treated like they are now. Hence the change in "lifetime" warranty from then to now.

My Dad just had a new transom put in his 1700 Fisherman this past fall after 10 years. Great boats, but it is just something you should be aware of when you are looking. PM me if you want photos of what to look for.

PM me if you want photos of what to look for.

Could you post them here for all? If you're not familiar with posting you could e-mail them to me at the address below and I'll get them posted in this thread.

Thanks!

marine_man

Here are the pictures. It makes one pretty sick if you know how much my Dad loves this boat and how much care he takes of it. He was going through, tightening the screws after a summer in Kenora and ran across a screw that just didn't want to bite in. He removed the cover plate and discovered and took pictures (below). The top half of the transom was punkey and shot. You could hear the difference when you knocked on it.

The explanation from Lund was that the damage was not caused by the environment but rather a chemical reaction between the glue and the stuff that they used to preserve the wood. I misspoke from my previous post.

Lund has since remedied the situation with their newer boats.

DSC02217-1.jpg

DSC02216-1.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02214-1.jpg

DSC02213-1.jpg

DSC02212-1.jpg

DSC02211-1.jpg