• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop tunnel hull vs mud motor

motownmasher

one other option you might want to consider is a jet tunnel hull. the jet out boards will let you run in like 10 inches of water when on plane, just be careful of rock or other items in the way. Lowe and G3 both make a nice modified v flat bottom boat that is offered as a prop or jet tunnel hull. if you go with a prop tunnel get a jack plate so you can raise and lower the motor depending on the water depth. my next boat is probably going to be a jet tunnel hull.

a jet tunnel is exactly what i thought i wanted, but according to the dealers there are not very many if any, satisfied customers. as well the cost of these skyrockets- g3 tunnel jet is only avail. in an 18'. prop tunnels are avail in shorter lengths. is anyone running a jet/tunnel, or just a jet drive outboard on a jon. what's your take

a jet tunnel is exactly what i thought i wanted, but according to the dealers there are not very many if any, satisfied customers. as well the cost of these skyrockets- g3 tunnel jet is only avail. in an 18'. prop tunnels are avail in shorter lengths. is anyone running a jet/tunnel, or just a jet drive outboard on a jon. what's your take

actually G3 offers their jet tunnels in a 1860 model and a 1656 model. check out their HSOforum.

lowe only offers theirs in 18 feet.

a 1656 G3 will run about $16000 and the 1860 will run $18000.

I think dealers are steering you towards what they have or know more about which isn't a jet. If they aren't any good then they wouldn't be used exclusively on most rocky/ shallow waters around the rest of the country. If we didn't have all these lakes and only had rivers like the Pacific northwest all you'd see are jets. I'd go to a different dealer just for saying something so stupid. If u duck hunt or boat in weeds go with a mud motor. If u exclusively want to use it on shallow rocky/sand and occasional lake get a jet. If u are in deeper rivers/ lakes with occasional use in very shallow stuff get a prop tunnel with a jack plate. If u arent going to do any of these ALOT then hire guide and save yourself some money! I like my 1860 CC just fine though and there are plenty of great ones out there . If its not sticking out of the water don't worry about it. :-) there is no one boat. Ups and downs to all that's for sure.

yes g3 does offer a 16ft with jet tunnel, however i hate to give up the floor space as well as adding the weight of the console and storage comp. these

models come std with. i'm really looking at a tiller model. i see many on youtube with a jet on a standard jon boat/non tunnel. as well as this route would save me about 6K. have you seen good results with a jet on a standard jonboat? some of the dealers that would not even sell a jet are high volume dealers such as smitty's/lake city and stark's/prarie du chien. thanks for the info.

I have guided out of, and run many models that you speak of. Non tunnel empty jons with jet tillers mostly 60/40 Yami tillers. They run great. They only feel underpowered when u add a starting battery, graphs, 24 v trolling motor and all this other dump! Two things- it has to be trimmed right so a plate or easy custom transom riser will do. The other thing that is equally important or u have a row boat- it can NOT have a center keel for 3-4 feet in front of the motor intake/impeller. Otherwise it causes too much water disturbance and sometimes channels air all the way from the front. The problem is most nontunnels are built this way. If u buy a used boat u can cut it off and just put an extra pc of plate running that section instead, for added protection.

yes g3 does offer a 16ft with jet tunnel, however i hate to give up the floor space as well as adding the weight of the console and storage comp. these

models come std with. i'm really looking at a tiller model. i see many on youtube with a jet on a standard jon boat/non tunnel. as well as this route would save me about 6K. have you seen good results with a jet on a standard jonboat? some of the dealers that would not even sell a jet are high volume dealers such as smitty's/lake city and stark's/prarie du chien. thanks for the info.