• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting started ice fishing for walleye

MN_Jay

Long time lurker here, mostly fished walleye in the summer with moderate success but want to try ice fishing. Luckily I have access to a small private lake that used to be a DNR rearing lake and supposedly has plenty of 20+ walleye.

My question is that this lake is pretty much a bowl, with 17 ft being the deepest in the center. From what I can find out, it has a muddy bottom with nothing for structure (at least nothing on the lakemap). How would you guys approach this lake? Hopefully be able to hit it on sunday.

Thanks!

Being the little snow we have this year, there should be some shallow vegitation that is still on the green side, I would start shallow say 5 to six ft an puch a bunch of hole out to 10 to 15. an just hole hop til u find fish. Theres no contour shoreline that can give u a starting point like a point of land that reaches out into the pond some? or any type of terrain feature that can give u a starting point. inside turn on the shoreline? Say where is this lake anyway?