• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stand and fish rigs

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with the Freedom Hawk kayaks. What's turning into an annual search for a new rig, as my fishing abilities and targets expand has led me to the conclusion that I need a rig that will allow me to stand and fish from. The Ocean Kayak Trident that I'm paddling now, is a nice rig, but doesn't offer me the stability to stand up. Looking at potential rigs, my search is starting to narrow. Native's Ultimate hybrid looks nice, as well as the Freedom Hawk platforms. I'm more attracted to the Freedom Hawks for a few reasons, one being the built in motor mount, and then the outrigger system which from what I've read is a pretty solid design.

My question is, does anyone have a Freedom Hawk 12, 14, or pathfinder? If so, how do you like it? Does it paddle easy and track straight? What type of downsides do you feel are associated with it?

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for rigs that will allow for easy standing, please send them my way.

This week-end I was looking over the NuCanoe Frontier on line. That appears to be a very stable platform. There is a dealer over near La Crosse. I hope to get over there this spring to check them out.

I've looked at those, but I'm just not sold. Could be that I haven't seen as many of them out there so the reviews are hard to come by. While I'm sure they're nice, I just think there are other rigs that might offer more versatility. Maybe I'm wrong though. Since LaCrosse is close, I might venture down to take a look one afternoon anyways

You'd be best off checking various saltwater venues as I think that's where they have the greatest traction. I haven't heard much about them, but the design does seem pretty solid.

Considering you have a trident, have you looked at those Scotty Outriggers? Jim Sammons reviewed them with his OK Trident when chasing northerns on Wollaston and muskies on the Ottawa and he loved them. I'm planning on getting some in May and posting a review

Well, I had a chance this morning to test paddle the Freedom Hawk. While it was super stable, it left something to be desired when the outriggers weren't deployed. Not nearly as stable as I would have hoped. I ended up getting the Native Ultimate 14.5 Angler. Got out this afternoon on the Mississippi and was able to stand up with no issue.

Thanks. It's more stable than SOT kayaks and canoes. Pretty slick rig. My biggest peeve about it right now is that it came with an anchor trolley, and no cleat to lock the anchor line onto. I'm not real sure what the point of that is, but I'm going to talk to Native tomorrow if I get a chance. Otherwise I've really enjoyed it so far. Once the fish start getting more aggressive I'll really put it to the test.