• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit replacement

Riverratpete

Yep, I broke it, so my insurance guy was telling me about a place called SCI where you get after market lower units. Went to the HSOforum, looks legit. Went on YouTube and checked out a couple video's..does not appear to be brain surgery..my question is, has anyone else had experience with SCI and is it really as easy as it looks in the video to replace the lower unit?. this is on a 115 Merc. Thanks!

Chris, thats the 1st thing I thought of also.

I once had an adjuster in my shop tell me that the insurance company has the discretion to approve new or used parts. In his words "it was a used part that was damaged"

The procedure for changing it out is simple.

Are you sure its SCI and not SEI? A friend of mine in Denver has dealt with SEI

I would tell your insurance adjuster that you want a new Merc gearcase instead of a reman.

+1. Was told by an agent (from WI) that it's law in MN that insurance company has to replace with original make (Mercury) parts if that's what damages (assuming you have a new / original lower unit).

Not so in WI though. He offered aftermarket lower unit originally, and then he remembered I was from MN and told me I have a right to original parts. That was all news to me, but was grateful for his honesty and that I got original (Yamaha) lower unit replaced. Good luck.