• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Numbers?

TheGuy

Our cabin is on a small lake (165 acres) about 25 miles north of Brainerd. It’s been a good fishing lake for over 25 years for bass, pike and panfish. My Dad and I have always been able to find crappies in the 10 to 12 inch range even though there would a year of two of smaller ones every 3 to 4 years. Even with that we could find the bigger ones. There are many pike and bass in the lake and in the last 10 to 12 years every summer we could get a few 10 lbs pike and 4 lbs bass. Lots of 4 to 6 lbs pike and 3 lbs bass.
It stared about 5 years ago when a few locals starting putting fish houses on the lake in the winter. There would be 4 or 5 on the lake right in the deepest spot (34 feet). Since then the crappies have been very hard to find. My Dad and I went two summers in a row with out even getting one crappie. We would fish for them a lot and try all over the lake. This summer between the two of us we got about 25 crappies and let every one go. We are both good with the C&R thing. They are starting to come back but the pike numbers have gotten very high also. I know the crappie numbers can come back fast but how long does it take? Will the next two years be a lot better? This summer the crappies were from 4 inches up to 13 inches. Do you guys think that ice fishermen could catch that many crappies?
Thanks for your replies!!

------------------
Get the Net!!

Yes! I had the same thing happen on a small, small lake near Aitkin. We were the only people to ice fish the lake for crappies for two years. Then two permanents were put out and the crappie fishing went to zilch for two years. Can't catch a keeper - only 5 to 6 inchers. Also, at the same time, a relative figured out tip-ups and caught and kept some gators in the 6 to 10 pound range. My theory is that the crappies are starting to come back. It all depends on CPR and predator fish. If people leave the lake alone for a while and go elsewhere, it'll come back.

In the meanwhile, I'm targeting the huge 'gills that other people ignore, for some reason.