• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tonka crappies

markkstanley

Decidied to see if I can figure out a few fall crappie spots. So far no luck. Lots of sunnies they are no problem but no crappies. I stick mostly to the west end of the lake and have been hitting the deep weed edges - anywhere from 15 to 24 ft - whereever I mark fish. Using plastics, power bait, gulp. I need some help or I'll have to go back to musky fishing.

Them sunnies can be a detourant to getting on the Crappies.

I have been the same situation as you, where the Crappies were relating to a certain depth, but the bluegills abundance was over riding my pursuit of the Crappies.

What I have found I had to do was either go deeper or shallower then the bulk of the sunnies to make contact with the Crappies.

In other cases, upsizing and getting down on the bottom below the suspended mess of future bulls was the way to go.

On Tonka, you might find the Crappies out in 30 feet of water, or you may find them up in the weeds right now, providing they aren't decaying.

I am sorry I can't offer more specifics in helping you come in contact with the Crappies. I am interested myself in getting out on Tonka this fall for a few slabs.

My starting depth would probably be the same as yours, 15-24 feet. If that is over ridden with bluegills, and the weeds didn't look favorable, I would look for the max depth that the Gills are residing, and then concentrate my efforts at depths 1-4 feet deeper.

The other thing I would try is twighlight periods, where the Bluegills will typically disapear and take the competition off of the Crappies.

I have never fished Tonka, so I don't have a fiddlers clue to tell you where to start. I have fished similar lakes in character and know that what you describe has been a common pesky occurence to me, and made finding the Crappies a challenge.

The good news is, if anyone is looking to take a youngster fishing, bring the wax worms and easy action should be easily found.

Also, ask the local bait shop, hopefully they can help you get closer to the Crappies.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Went out Friday - tried some of your ideas and caught 2 8" crappies. It's a start. As usual sunnies were hard to avoid. Did get a nice 31" pike - ton of fun on ultralight gear. If you want to share a boat I'm willing to drive you around Tonka. I know where the early ice crappies show up but I am trying to widen the search area because there have to be other spots. Just trial and error I guess.

Mark,

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to find some fall Tonka crappies. Spring is not a problem. And I always catch a few nice ones fishing for wallyeyes. If you want to get out and explore the lake sometime in pursuit of those Tonka slabs, I'll join you.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Cal, was out trying again last night but just sunnies. Wind kept me away from the area I wanted to try. Scouted around for walleyes later but nothing to show. I am usually out every night except Wed. Tonka Boy has still got musky fever but I don't so my boat is open. 18ft Alumacraft tiller. Email me at [email protected] with a time and place to meet. I rarely leave the west end of the lake but that's more because my dock is there. We could meet at Howard's Point. I am usually on the water by 5:15pm. Oh if you do want to chase muskies I do have a very large net!!

Mark,

Have you tried any of the deeper holes in the lake for suspended crappies? That might be the ticket for the bigger ones anyway. Finding 'em is the problem. I have also heard that at this time of year crappies can be shallow, and then transition to deeper water as it gets closer to hard water. Anyway, it's a puzzle I would like to solve. I'll get hold of you next week sometime and see if I can get out with you. How big are the sunnies you are getting? I like catching nice sunnies too. I have been going to lake Sarah for panfish action (mostly sunnies but some nice craps as well) because I haven't solved Tonka yet. There is alot of action on Sarah, let me know if you ever want to explore it for some slab action.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I've tried deep holes, front of bays you name it. The game plan has been to troll around looking for fish on the finder. When I find them I fish them. Have been from 12' out to 30' doing this. Medium sized sunnies has been the result. I spent most of my time in Carmen's and Spring Park bays. Both are decent spots for ice fishing and in the spring and eventually the crappies will show up there. I do catch some crappies just fishing off my dock and well as some decent sized sunnies so tonight I am going to cruise that weedline on the outside. Got one small bay by the islands I want to check too. Those schools have to be somewhere! By the way the yellow 2" Gulp minnow has been deadly on the sunnies.

I have had good crappie luck on GULP in Parkers lake; you would think if you keep it up with the GULP, you would run into those crappies sooner or later. On my Hotpoints map it says that crappies suspend in Stubbs bay, I always wanted to check that out, but haven't yet. Have you ever checked Stubbs? Well, when I am out for walleyes and ski's, I'll have to keep my ultralight handy and take a few token casts if something promising shows up on the graph.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

The last report I read (for Friday the 24th) stated that the Crappies were still setting up on the top of the milfoil, so that might be worth a shot.

I could see this being a decent early morning and evening pattern, perhaps even cloudy day thing.

Do you by chance know the water temp on Tonka now?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 09-28-2004).]

Water temp was 65 on the surface last night. That's a 7 degree drop versus last week. Also very dingy water for Tonka right now. Chased around last night checking the milfoil beds and some breaklines. Sunnies as usual everywhere I dropped a line. Marked some large schools of baitfish with bigger arcs mixed in about 30ft in two spots but nothing bit. Surprise of the night was a lot of 12"bass which made for some fun.

Calvinist, I have never fished Stubbs, Maxwell or the North Arm for crappies. I typically range from Halsted's to the Narrows. What I know well is the musky spots in this stretch. I spent last fall trying to pick up some walleye areas. This is the first year I decided to track down a fall crappie bite. How did the walleye hunt go last night?? I spent a hour or so at it and came up empty.

Sudden dingy water usually marks the start of turnover.

I am not certain what surface temperature turnover begins, but the abundance of suspended fish leads me to think "not yet".

I think the magic temp to mark completion of turnover is 55 degrees on the surface, along with sudden clearer water conditions.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 09-29-2004).]

Mark,

I located some crappies last night, on the extreme east side, and mostly dinks. They were not particular about presentation, just a tube jig, flu-flu, or curly tail grub tipped with something like waxie will do. I just cast out and let it sink and watch the line. Once it hit bottom, I would slowly reel in. I caught them at night, in close proximity to the bridge over the channel that connects grey's and Wayzata bays. The bridge had very good lighting which illumines the water, creating a food chain situation. I know you don't fish the east end, but perhaps there is a bridge on the west end with the same situation.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

The channel I was fishing is about 20' deep. I was off to the side and cast into the deepest part, and slowly retrieved once it hit bottom. Yes, sunnies were present too, so I upsized a bit and that produces a few more crappies over sunnies. A friend of mine said that some really nice crappies can be caught there at times. Also, he said at night walleyes can be caught; you can see walleyes in the darkest shadows under the bridge. I don't know what is going to happen once the water turns cold, they might start relating to deeper water. I would still like to get out with you sometime...my problem is I cannot decide what to fish for. Anyway, let me know if you have any luck.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-12-2004).]