• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rattling Jigs

CM,
Rattle Jigs are good for dark and stained water, or for use as a search lure in many different situations. Same with whistler jigs and Roadrunner style baits. They can add noise and vibration triggering the fish's senses.

Something I like to do is add a couple beads to my line above the jig. Those beads will not only hit each other and jig causing some noise, they will also make it look like there are more than one prey in the water. Great for insect feeds and hatches. You will actually see the fish eat the beads every once in a while thinking they are food.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

No i have not been hiding,Tom.Just been busy with the hot panfish bite this spring.Thanks for asking.

The rattling jigs i've been using are made from Gammils Tackle Co. They are made out of,i believe balsam wood,rattles are inside the wood and it's painted and has wobbly eyes on them.You can either tip them with a tube body,insect immitation body or live bait.The bead theory should work too for added attraction.You should get by your bulky feeling of rattles Tom.Once you get the hang of them,you'de be surprized of the results.I have Gammils # if anyones interested.They come in 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 oz. sizes.

Give them a try,you will be glad you did.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 07-05-2004).]

Thanks Matt..I was just curious how Tom uses them in river situations.I've thought about tipping them with the Bio-bait to see if the scent will also aid in better hook-ups.Most of the time i'll bump these against rocky shorelines and cracking them up against trees and heavyshoreline brush.One of the great things about these style jigs is the versatility they have with different types of structure.Now that the docks and boatlifts are out,i'll even target these areas.Sometimes banging them against dock supports is as exciting as using topwater for bass.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 07-04-2004).]

CM...good to hear from you...been hiding? I seldom use a rattling jig- I just don't care for the bulky appearing head. The beads on the line will do the same thing without having a head that looks way out of proportion. I need to emphasis that that is just my opinion. I know many people who use the rattle heads very effectively. As Matt *****d, those beads look as though there is more than just one prey in the line of site. A trick or twist off that idea is to put on a couple small beads, then a rubber "football" stop, then tie in your jig. Adjust the stop to keep the beads about three inches in front of your jig. When you do your retrieve it looks as thoiugh there is some minute organism chasing after another with that jig in hot pursuit and not paying attention. Cast and retrieve using little pops to make the beads work together. This works well in very dirty water or when you are getting into that real dark twilight period and the fish are working in the upper water column. I just can't get past the extra bulk of a rattle head.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]