• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow Hunting Bike?

Boonie5

Looking at getting a decent mountain bike I could use in some of the non-motorized parks and refuges. Anybody have one they have rigged for hauling equipment / game? If so any pointers of what works good and not so good? I am looking at a bike with some good snow tires now I just need to outfit it. Im thinking of converting one of those kid carriers that pulls behind a bike into a game / equipment cart.

Or if anyone has a rig they are looking to sell send me a PM and we can work something out...

Cheers!

I wouldn't plan on riding any mountain bike in accumulated snow. You can get mtb tires with metal studs, but they are meant for on ice, not for going through snow. Kinda expensive too. If anything you can cut through snow perfectly fine with regular mtb tires, the question will be if you bottom out in the snow depth and your feet/pedals are going into it. "snow tires" won't keep you on top of it.

A modified kid trailer should work well for hauling stuff down logging roads. I've seen some good info on other forums from guys who built similar setups for elk hunting out west in the mountains.

Depends how much gear you are hauling. I was hauling just my bow and a backpack so I bought ATV mounts (I think they were gun mounts) to mount on my handle bars to hold my bow. They were u shaped mounts that you would normally mount on the ATV rack and then set something in both of them and there was a strap to tighten it down. It worked very well for my bow. I did a quick search.. they were similar to something call rhino grips.

There is one mtn bike that's specially designed for going through snow - the Surly Pugsly. It's got big burly tires, but also a $1,500 price tag. I like the idea of mounting the bow to the handlebars. Another option is to ride with a hiking backpack that has exterior straps for attaching gear, like your bow. I think the more challenging issue would be pulling a deer back out behind a mtn bike. You might have to strap it to a sled and pull it back out on foot.