• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MODIFYING YOUR RAPS

YOu had asked about adding rattles to your jiggingraps, here is what i did for bigger raps, havent tried it on the tiny tiny rap, go out and but the buckshot rattles made by northland, they have that plastic piece to slide onto your jigs, pull that off with your hands or a pliers, under the rear fin, the plastic piece, epoxy it. That has worked for me before.
OR
If you have access to reloading bird shot, take your 10 shot pellets find a bit a little bit bigger, and drill through the body, this is a little tricky, because the body is held together, but on the backside of the bottom treble hook, you can drill twice. Add two or three in there and then either seal it with a tiny drip of glue or go over it with a paint finish. try and get as little glue in as possible so there is a little more area to rattle in there. That has worked also but practice on old or junk lures first because you will lose a lure or two.
Another Tip
Yu can buy the hard vinyl glow in the dark lure paint, entirely covering the lure in this piant makes a good lure better in dark, I think. You can buy them in different glow colors, red and blue has worked good. Experiment with coat thickness, more coats brighter glow to a point.
Adding glow in the dark trebel hook is also a quick way to add an extra bite or two.
Another way to add rattle, buy the glass beads and tip those on you line either above the swivel to prevent twist or have those hit right on the knot. Never tried that but would be a good option to try possibly. Those are some of my modifications I have done to make a good lure better.
Best Fishes
Chris

Player, ya know I own at least 15 of those jiggin raps, Ive never caught a fish on a darn one of them. You have to catch the first one to acquire the confidence to keep using them. I did catch walleyes and sunnies on Lindy's Rattl-R spoons tho and Northland's buckshot rattler.What a thrill! The first time I knew these spoons worked was at the Brainerd Jaycee tournament.I watched this old bearded hippie type dude walk from hole to hole with his vex in 60-70ft. jigging with this rattle spoon with a minnow head attached to the treble. No fish on the vex, he'd move to the next hole.Eventually he's making his way to the weigh-in table with what I know was a winning walleye.I had to see what he was using so I ambushed him at another hole after he weighs his first fish. Buckshot rattler with minnow head attached. Half an hour later he walks by with an even bigger walleye. Of course I was sold then but I'm not real sure how to properly work these spoons. The sunnies hit when Ive got waxies on the treble,and the walleyes hit when Ive got the minnow head on. Ive yet to get the crappies to hit either one but Im sure there's a proper way to work these spoons to get calicos in the bag,. got any suggestions?By the way the old guy ended up winning an Aqua-view and one of the four wheelers.Thanks for the tip on the raps, I'll be drilling and glo-painting mine before the ice melts.

a great spoon for fishing crappies with is a number 2 glow swedish pimple, tipped with a waxie, minnow or minnow head. I also use the lindy rattlers and the buckshot spoons. For modifying those I like replacing the treble hook with one that glows. Another thing is you have to base your jigging activity on activity, weather, etc. I base my fishing for walleyes in five groups, aggressive, positive, neutral, sluggish and negative, here are my lure choice that are on my winter walleye rods, Aggressive, usually a 3/4 oz crippled herring or the Biggest JR's Slammer spoon with buckshot glued on the convex side, or a jigging rap that is about 4 and a half inches long, positive fish is either 1/2 or 1/4 oz jigging spoon either a fire-eye, buckshot, glow devil, angel or rattler, for neutral I usually go with a glide jig, like a 1/8 oz airplane jig. for negative it either a glow in the dark plain hook, with a tail hooked minnow, usually s real small one too, or a small lead head jig with a very slow lift fall. this is usually in tandem with a tip up either off the break or on top of the bar. Hope this helps too, probably should be moved to the walleye forum, but lets try to keep it here,
Best Fishes
Chris