• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st open water-- shallow or deep?

FOOTDOC

Here in Indiana we have lost our ice as of yesterday. I fish two local lakes. They are about 90 acres each with max depth of 70' and hold good numbers of crappies, gills and a few walleyes. As the ice is now gone, would you suggest going shallow or deep to find crappies? gills? walleyes? Also, what presentation would you suggest? There are plenty of zones in the 15-25' range. Thanks for your imput!

For the craps I'd target water in the range you mentioned IF you can find some points or fast breaking shoreline. I'd fish these areas early in the day and as things brighten and warm shift into shallower water. If you have current available, so much the better. Start on the downstream point of a bay and work the deep until mid-morning and then slide up into the bay. If there are humps that peak out at ,say 15 feet, fish the deeper edges early and then the tops for active fish. If wind is not an issue, I'd position the boat to look for fish along the first major breakline from shallow to deep. Often times your most active craps will be located working those breaks and not necessarily the flat. Also, your sunfish could easily be relating to the tops of flats...I d look for water from 6 to 12-15 feet for them. Walleyes could well be in the area along those major breaks as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]