• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Lube Woes

jmg

Decided to change the lower unit lube in my Evinrude motor Saturday. It started draining just fine, but then started having a white streak drain along with the lube that lasted about 2/3 of the draining, but ended in clear lube. I bought this motor used this past Spring from a private dealer. It's a '97 30 hp. tiller w/ elec. start. I only got a chance to use it 4 times this past season and it started/worked fine. Probably only put 4-6 actual running hours on the motor. The individual I bought it from said at the time of purchase that he had changed the lower unit lube this Spring, but, of course, didn't say if he had found the same thing. Any ideas as to the what it is(the white streak) and what caused it? The lube all seemed fine with no hints of water in it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Did you just run it prior to changing fluid? If so, no need to worry IMHO. Also, no need to worry anyway... just run it in the spring, and change lube after a couple outings and see if it looks bad. Lube is cheap wink Good luck.