• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concerns with Bowhunting in Sand Dunes State Forest?

TProGuy

Just wondering if anyone else has had some dicey moments with small game hunters while out bowhunting in Sand Dunes State Forest?

I had the afternoon off yesterday, and decided to sneak out for an evening in the woods. Initially, I planned to check out a WMA that I am familiar with, only to find two other hunters out there. So, as a last minute back up plan, I looked at my map book and saw that I was only about 20 minutes from Sand Dunes. I had never hunted there before, but figured it was worth a shot. I checked out an area, found some relatively fresh deer sign, and got into a tree...all by about 2:00.

Around 3:00, I hear footsteps, and am hoping that it is a deer. After 10 anxious minutes, I see it is another hunter, clad head-to-toe in camo, carrying a rifle. I gave him a whistle and a wave, and was virtually 100% sure he saw me, as he looked in my direction and nodded. He walks another 50 yards or so, pulls out a folding stool, and has a seat. Within minutes, the woods are all quiet, and the animals return. Shortly after, I am startled by the crack of two rifle shots, and the sound of a bullet whistling through the tree branches. Are you bleeping kidding me?!? Now, I give him a loud holler, he stands up, waves at me, retrieves his squirrel, then sits back down. About 20 minutes later, he gets up and leaves. Thank god!!!

I was so mad at this point and was set on getting out of there, but got myself calmed down and decided to stay put, hoping that this moron would kick up a deer and scare it in my direction. Everything was good until 6:00, when I hear footsteps again. Here he comes, one more time.

I give him a whistle, and he walks to within 10 yards of my stand and waves again. He then promptly shoulders his rifle, and shoots at a squirrel in the next tree over. I went nuts! As I am unbuckling my safety harness and climbing down, I am letting this guy hear it about being safe, properly wearing blaze orange while hunting small game, etc. and he just smiles, picks up his squirrel, and quickly walks away. By the time I hit the ground and go looking for this guy, he is long gone. I tried driving over in the direction in which he was walking, hoping to find his vehicle, and a license plate number, but no luck.

Being so close to the cities, I fully expect this place to be pretty busy, but had not anticipated it to be so dangerous. Anyone else have simliar experiences out there, or was I just unlucky yesterday?

Welcome to the new era of hunting on public land! That scenario has happened to me so often that I now only hunt public land, or areas of public land, that have very few oaks. Thus no squirrel hunters. ...and it doesn't matter if your near the cities or way out on some remote public land up north.

What really sucks is when you get up at 4:30 am, drive an hour north, bust your hind end carrying your portable stand and pack, way back into what you think is a remote hot spot, get all set up, only to have some squirrel hunters come walking by right at first light.

Those folks must love squirrel meat.

Nels

Totally agree with that being how things go sometimes on public land. My biggest issue isn't whether or not anyone is out squirrel hunting and walks into the area that I am deer hunting, rather the issue is deliberately shooting in my direction when they know I am there. At least the people that I have come across while hunting in the Brainerd Lakes Area seem to be courteous enough to quickly and quietly go the other way once they realize a bowhunter is in the area.

What scares me and maybe it has not increased is people knowing you are hunting a area and will purposely try to to upset you so you will leave and they can have it to theirselves. Hunters have always done this but is it becoming a more of a norm than in the past. See tha t deer hunting now with people putting deer stands a short ways around you to get you to leave.