• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gills are Biting!

Matt Johnson

I found the gills thick and heavy in a weed pocket in about 15 feet today. The pocket was surrounded by breaks going shallow enclosed by shoreline. There was also weeds shallower and the weeds in the pocket were about 2 feet high, 3 feet in some spots. The gills were using this pocket to roam and they kept moving all day. When they showed up, the flasher was lite up like a christmas tree and they were very aggressive. Glow jigs and maggots were the key today. A lot of 7-8 inch gills and some in the 9-10 inch range as well. A few crappies were mixed in but they were mostly small. The warm weather made it easy to move and locate fish. I brought a few gills home for a fish fry for mom and dad. Here are a few pics...

fa3cdcba.jpg

A 9.5 incher...
fa3cdc60.jpg

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Well done again. I wish I didn't have to drive so far to get bug sunnies like that. My 2 year old son and I went to a local lake for a couple hours before the daughters Christmas program. We didn't catch sunnies like that, mostly 2-6 inchers. But he was pretty pumped to see fish come through the hole. I had a hard time getting the rod away from him after that. We found quite a few active bass around the 3 pound mark in with the sunnies. What a battle! The boy held one for a picture. I hope they turn out. Maybe we will head north later after the holidays in search of big panfish.

Corey,
Tell your son congrats on the nice bass!
Let me know when you head this way and I can take you and the little guy out on the ice. Happy holidays! smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum

Got into the gills and crappies again today. Same area, 15 feet of water and weeds on the bottom. The fish were aggressive again today. Some of the larger gills were light biters and they came in on the Ice Buster's Bobber. Worked awesome today. Captain B.R.K. made the tri[ down from the Duluth Area to hit the ice with me. Here are a few pics...

fa37d71f.jpg

fa37d708.jpg

Here's Captain B.R.K. with a pile that he took home for dinner...
fa37d736.jpg

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum