• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind...to hunt or not.

Monkster

I sat out on Saturday afternoon/evening. Nice setup in the east side of a picked corn field, bout 30 yards into the oak woods. Only saw one doe come out late, but on the drive home I saw that the deer were out in the picked corn fields like crazy, and it was still blowing. Was planning on going out again last night, but it was really howling out, so I decided to stay in. But they were moving where i was

I did sneak on on Saturday and it wasn't as windy as I thought. I saw the big fellow I was targeting, and a lot of deer activity on the back side (downwind) of a hill.

Ended up shooting an eater doe at 5:30 who came in with 3 others. I was going to let them pass hoping the big guy would come, but the lead doe got spooky. So I let the air out of her. I hope I didn't screw up the spot for the buck, but what the heck.

One year me and my hunting buddie hooked up for lunch . We were way back in the woods and the wind was howling. Were eatting venison sausage and I say to bill. You know the deer do not move much in the wind when a smaller size deer walks right by us 20 yards away. Both our bows are laying out of reach so we just watched in walk buy.

Wind, rain, blizzards....I never let them deter me. I usually try like most others to use them to my advantage. It it is really windy I try to set up in or next to the downwind side of the heaviest cover I can find. I have to be realistic and not be up a tree on the really windy days. I have walked into thick stands of pines and have nearly stepped on deer that were yarded up in the woods. Tougher with a bow but I like the challenge.