• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newby Questions

kwiggy

I no nothing about Archery hunting except what I see on TV and learn from my friends' stories. My son (14) has a Parker Buckshot and is learning to shoot. As we were practicing, I couldn't help but think the bow is kind of loud. However, I don't know what loud is for a bow? How do deer react when a bow is shot? Do they jump and run avoiding the arrow? Raise their head? Or does the arrow get there before they shoot. Or is it so random you can't predict?

Also, I am looking for any good online resources for learning to shoot and learning about hunting with a bow. I am also thinking of buying a bow for myself, but am not familiar with the models/ brands/accessories, etc... If I buy one, I want to buy the best (hey I am a guy, why wouldn't I?) I would like to buy used if I can educate myself on the products.

Thank you all,

If you think his bow is loud, go to the Big C or Gander and they will have tons of things to put on the string to silence it.

For what the deer does when you shoot, if they hear the string, they'll try to duck under it. It's happened to me, and I"m sure it's happened to a lot of guys on these forums.

And for the different things to look at on bows, I'll let the other people on here tell you about that. I'm no expert on that.

Kwiggy:

How deer react to a shoot pretty much depends on the deer itself. Most deer will drop down when they hear the shot and turn to flee. Have seen/heard of others jumping up and the arrow passing under them.

As for getting a bow for yourself, best advice is get to a good shop and have them work with you. You can shoot all the different types/brands/makes/models of bows and see what fits you the best and what you feel most comfortable shooting. Everyone on here has their own personal preference on what kind of bow they like. I shoot a Bear and love it. Others shoot Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, etc. and they love their bows. Its all about you however, what you feel best shooting.