• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bare hook, no bait... Gills.

Was out the other day bass fishing and decided to try for some gills since they are all over... I had a small glow hook and slip bobber already rigged and didn't have any bait along, so I decided to try this rig without bait rather than tying on a jig of some sort... Wouldn't you know it, they hit that just as hard and quick as they would bait. I caught all of the good sized gills I wanted on this bare orange hook - size 8 I think it was.

Anyone fish like this? Beats baiting the hook when they are that active... I would typically use a flu-flu in this situation, but decided to experiment a little with this set-up and was a little suprised it works so well. They seem very hungry coming off the spawn, I'm not sure this would work during other times of the year.

i fish like that alot and have luck.I fish at lake Harriet and just wade out in the shallow water.I catch some bass to.I just cast out and reel it slowly and than you will either feel them or see them hit it.It's awsome.You should try it.But if i want to use bait i just use little crappie tubes.I would go with red with a yellow tail or just plain green.Unfortanetly i dont catch as many crappies as i do with bluegills.By the way i use a bobber and a jighead.Small jigs are the key.

I LOVE FISHING!!!!!!!

I've had this happen during ice fishing in the past. united jigsticker has the best reason for why this happens. The slow fall action as well as the color probably immitated some type of forage that the gills were feeding on.

Thats whats great about fishing, everyday is a new day and you can't count anything out.

Good Fishin,
Matt