• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Terrifying discovery....

Da Biggin

This story has a happy ending but had me on edge for some time...

The other day I woke to my favorite alarm, Major having to go outside to relieve himself. I drag myself out of bed, dawn some knickers, and head down stairs to let him out back. Now his morning routine is to run around the yard and scare every feathery/furry thing out and then goes to the bathroom (I think he likes his privacy). Nothing was different this morning...

As soon as the door was open enough to get out he rocketed out of the house. He ran around as usual and I remember chuckling hazy eyed about how goofy he was. No sooner did I get the door closed that I heard a noice I never want to hear again. Major was screaming uncontrollably! A number of things shot through my mind as I attempted to get the door to work. Did he jump and break a leg? Was there someone in the yard that I missed in my sleepy state of mind? Did he catch a squirrel and get bit? Finally the Fort Knox door handle opened and I threw the door open. What I found peering into the yard was Major in the far corner along the fence; he was standing on his hind legs with his right paw in the air. Awakened by adrenaline I jump off the back porch and sprinted across the yard (maybe the Vikes could win a game if they all wore Isotoner house shoes. I was pretty quick in them anyway. Lol). As approached I could tell he was in quite a bit of pain and upon a closer look appeared as if he had pinned his paw between a small tree and the fence itself. So with that in mind I pet him for reassurance and sat him on my knee as to relieve the pressure on his paw. Having done that I figured the paw would be freed and he would stop yelping but this was far from the case. SO, I stuck my hand behind the tree and tried to free the paw myself. This is where the terrifying discovery comes in. It was at that moment that I noticed there was ample amounts of space between the tree and the fence and it was also then that I noticed that the space between the two pieces of fence as well. All I could think was "no way"...

Somehow Major jumped and brought his paw down on the only exposed nail on the entire fence line. The nail was embedded about six inches into his paw. I lifted his body with my knee and arm while sliding his paw off of this nail. (Puts me in the mind to say Thank You Lord for bearing the cross for my sins) I carried Major from the back fence to the back door and set him down. I tell you this dog is a trooper, either that or he really REALLY had to pee, because no sooner than I set him down he shot off the deck as if nothing had happened. He went and relieved himself and ran back to the door as he does every other morning. I sat him down and looked at the puncture. It went cleanly into the back of the largest pad parallel to the bones but didnt puncture the other side. After an examination it was found that he missed all major blood vessels. He didn't touch any bones, tendons, or ligaments and was extremely lucky. Now he's takng antibiotics and getting it flushed twice daily.

If you look at him you would never know any of this had happened and I'm a very lucky owner. Hunting season is just around the corner and more so I could have lost my best friend. You never really understand the fragility of the strands in this web of life until something shakes things up a bit.

Glad everything worked out for Major. Reading that story reminds me of Bill Heavey's columns at the back of Field & Stream.. Witty and well told. Do you write a column or blog somewhere, I'd definately read your stuff!

Glad everything worked out for Major. Reading that story reminds me of Bill Heavey's columns at the back of Field & Stream.. Witty and well told. Do you write a column or blog somewhere, I'd definately read your stuff!

I don't actually. I am an avid reader and athlete turned poet... Don't laugh, I'm serious. The only real outlet I get is here when the occasional topic calls for a long narrative. I try to paint a picture with words as I figure it's more enjoyable to read that way. It is for me anyway.

Thanks for the compliment. Maybe I should submit something one day.