• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exciting night on stand

Studer

Had a great time tonight sitting in my oak set for the first time. I was drawn for an in city permit and scouted a bit and have a few locations but had not sat here yet. I showed up and started my trek into the woods only to be met by a big old snapping turtle! I walked around him and made it into the stand. It's 75 degrees and I am warm! I get settled in the stand and wait. I didn't know exactly where the deer would be coming from so was crossing my fingers I had a good wind. Other than a ton of squirrels and lots of acorns dropping (from the squirrels jumping around in the trees) didn't see much for deer. I look at my clock now and it is 7:34 and last light is 7:35. I stand up and zip up my hunting pack and hear a few twigs snap. Turn around and 15 yards away is coming two fawns with a nice doe behind them. By this time it is past legal shooting hours but I didn't want to bump these deer out so I hung tight. Soon enough one fawn is smelling my tree steps and walking around my tree. She walks about ten yards further and beds down. Now for the other fawn...comes walking right next to my tree and circles around a few times. The doe meanwhile is 15 yards away chomping on acorns and making her way over. Now I can hear deer eating acorns all around me. Its now about 8:00p and SWMBO is wondering where I am. A couple minutes go by and the doe makes her way to my entry trail and starts stomping. So I whistle a bit to try to get them to keep moving so I can get out of the tree and she starts yelling at me!! The doe that is...pretty soon they kind of wonder off and I start getting my stuff together and turn my headlight on. I look, and a single file line of about 5 deer walk back to where they came from and I quietly made my way to the forest edge only to find about 5-6 more deer in the field feeding. I start my way down the path and see a nice size deer standing there. Flip my light back on and a beauty of a buck is standing 30 yards in front of me. He snorts at me and high tails it back into the woods followed by the rest of the pack!

I may have not harvested a deer tonight but I was pretty excited to have set myself up on a killer spot!! Now time to make a move further north with the stand so I can meet a few before dark!!

I will now try to fall asleep....