• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall overseeding and leaves

Parker

Hi - I am going to overseed this fall, but have a question about how raking leaves may impact this effort. I could overseed right now, but my concern is that I have a lot of oak trees that will start droppnig leaves soon. My fear is that if I overseed now it would be a wasted effort as when I rake up leaves it will minimalize the overseeding effort. My question really is, can I wait until late October / early November to seed or is that too late? I would like for the leaves to be gone before I do this.

Also, any tips on overseeding in the fall? Good idea or should I wait until spring?

Are you expecting the seed to germinate and grow this fall?

Kentucky bluegrass takes a minimum of 21 days to germinate so if you want to get it growing it should be on the ground already. If you're interested in doing a "frost seeding" and getting the seed down once its late in the fall, that seed will germinate in the spring.

As far as seeding over the leaves, you will be raking the leaves up and the grass seed should fall right off. The size of the grass seed is so fine it should roll right off. In fact, I think raking should actually help by scratching the surface of the soil and turning some of the seeds into the dirt.