• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie movement

I would just like to here some opinions here. The lake in question is approx. 2 miles long. When the crappies spawn they are all over the lake. Some on each end. There are shallows and deep holes all over the lake. In the winter everyone fishes crappies in one general area. Do you think that there would be another crappie hole that no one knows about or do you think that all the crappies in the lake go to one general area in the winter, then spread out in the spring again.

Ely lake expert

If there are simliar spots on the lake just like where the fishing pressure is then I would be willing to bet that those spots will hold fish as well. Fish relate to similar structure and within a certain lake that structure can be the same at more then one spot.

For example: Say you are catching crappies over an underwater bar in 32 feet of water on one portion of the lake. You check out a lake map and notice a bar about 200 yards away that is in 30-34 feet of water. That second bar will more then likely hold fish as well. Same goes for a lot of other factors like bottom contour, weed growth, baitfish, etc.

The reason why the crappies are spread out in the srping is because they are searching for adequate spawning grounds. If the shorelines are a sand/weed mix with little or no back bays then most of the shoreline will be a proper place for a spawning bed. This assumption is based primarily on bottom contour and the makeup/charateristics of the lake. Every lake is different but the relative spawning area for crappies is in shallow bays, shorelines, areas where cover is present, etc.

If the particular lake you are talking about is realtively shallow with only one deep hole then I would guess that most of the crappies will relate to the deep hole during the winter. But my guess is that there is another form of structure that crappies will relate to. Whether it be a hump, underwater point, edges, really anything that is obvious to the eye.

If I were fishing this particular lake in the winter I would find some sort of structure away from the crowd of poeple who fish the main hole. I've found in the past that the larger fish are not far away from and ARE often times relating to adjacent structure away from the large schools of fish.

When you say that the crappies spawn all over the lake, do you mean all depths? After spawning, certain crappies vacate the spawning beds in search of food and these could be the fish that you find off the spawning beds.

There can be a lot more said about this but I hope I helped with some main points.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Fishing Reports from MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 03-25-2003).]

Thanks MJ5,

I will clarify a little. The main crappie hole has about a 500 yard span. Which goes between 30 and 40 feet deep. The lake itself gets much deeper. 70+ feet in some areas. What I meant by the spawning all over the place, was they are in all the bays of the lake within a 2 mile radius. They always seem to be in the same depth in each of the bays. The lake itself has a crazy bottom structure. Some sand, some weeds, and some rocks. There are spots with similar depths and structure that just don't seem to produce. If you have any other ideas, I welcome them.

Ely lake expert

[This message has been edited by Ely lake expert (edited 03-25-2003).]

The main reason for people congregating in one general location on a lake is because the fish are generally easier to find and target in that specific spot typically.

That spot may hold a better concentration of fish, therefor making them easier to find and catch.

The other holes in the lake are going to hold fish as well, but they may not be patterned exactly the same as the other spots, therefor making the fish increasingly difficult to find by some anglers.

For instance, the favorite hole could see fish suspending in it in the entire basin area while the other holes around the lake might see Crappies holding to a certain edge or specific depth of the hole, grouping in tighter schools, or feeding during different times of the day then regular anglers to the lake are used to.

Other times, these holes are not fished just basically because nobody has taken the time to adventure and seek out new spots.

Whatever the case may be, these spots that see minimal pressure in winter are surely worth your while to investigate. Non-pressured fish typically bite better, bite more consistently, and generally have a more favorable average size.

These spots could be honeyholes, but beware, as once other anglers see one person fishing there on more then one occasion odds favor you'll have company very quickly.

Just a few things I have found to work well over the years.

Good Luck and Best Regards.

-----------------
Fish On! Get in the bucket! cool.gif

just keep looking we never go around big groups of people to much noise there will be other groups of crappies in the other holes more then likely the bigger ones

Sounds like a they are fishing a giant flat/hole. Ok, so here's what I get out of it:

Most fish are coming through in 30-40 feet sorrounded by deeper holes in the 70 foot range. The key area (30-40) is adjacent to the deeper water. The crappies spawn in the bays like other lakes. Bottom contour may play a key role because of all the different types. The theory that the fish are relating to similar areas is out.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds to me like the fish are relating high in the water column due to baitfish, thermocline, etc or just the period/phase they are in. That would explain why the fish don't relate to the deeper water, say 60 feet of so. A lot of lakes that I've fished in the past that have a substantial amount of deeper water have be holding fish suspended over deeper water, take South Center Lake in Chisago County for example. There are several holes in 50 feet or deeper and that is were a majority of the crappies roam during a certain period of the winter season. If there fish are all hanging in the 30-40 foot mid depth range then I would suggest fishing the structure that drops off near the shoreline. The fish aren't anchored down near deep water so it won't be uncommon to find some of the larger crappies relating to the mid depth shoreline structure, ie: weededges, rockpiles, underwater points, bars, humps, etc.

Also, is there any structure in the 500 yard 30-40 foot range? If so, I would concentrate on that. If the fish are relating heavily to that certain area then you will find an even greater population near any structure in that 30-40 foot range.

By the way, what lake are we talking about? If you prefer not to say that is fine, I'm just curious because if I knew the lake and had a map I could easier explain and give info.

United Jigsticker,
Good point referring to the location of crappies near the edges of the less productive holes. Fish will seem more hesistent to roam in "uncomfortable water." Also, I like the point you brought up about the fact that nobody takes the time to search and find these other holes. I've found that to be the case with a lot of ice fishermen who have trouble catching fish. If I could give one piece of advice to someone who isn't catching fish over a once productive spot would be...to move and find your own, new productive spot. If you are catching a few fish an hour over a spot where you usually catch one every minute then I'd move to adjacent structure or else I'd start over on a different part of the lake. Finding your own "honey hole" is most of the fun. It is also more very rewarding. If you cut holes in a brand new area where no one else has been this season and you find fish, those fish will in most cases be active and larger. I've found that out this past winter fishing for bluegills in numerous instances.

Sometimes you may have to punch 50 or so holes but once you find a pattern the fishing might be better then you've ever experienced. Don't be afraud to venture off on your own and find your own spot. Might make the difference between a good day on the lake and a trip of a lifetime.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Fishing Reports from MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 03-25-2003).]