• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lockport Update

wall_eye_assasin

Just returned home and wanted to give an update on the channel cat fishing we had on our trip. I do not have all the numbers but we had a great time with sometimes two boats and some days three boats. The fish were huge and hungry in the fast water and they wanted frogs. Many fish over the 34.5 size with seven or eight cats over 38" long and one 39". The power of these fish have and in the current is unreal and a lot of fun to bring in. I started my Lockport expierience with two 21 lb monsters and a 19 pounder all in the same spot. If you are a catfisherman, you have to put this on your bucket list. I have many people to THANK but I want to Thank Brad Durick for letting me tag along and be part of this great adventure and letting me join in on his annual trip.

One person I would love to say THANK YOU is Canuck (Jim). Your kindness and generosity was amazing. Meeting your family and you sharing your knowledge of that great River is a time and place I will not forget. Words cannot express my appreciaton of the time that we spent at your place and the times on the river sitting next to you and watching the real pros at work. THANK YOU Jim to you and your family for a great stay, great food and I will remember it forever......Kirk

Kirk

No problem. I love showing people the river. It is alittle different than the Red at Grand Forks. As you probably saw from Brad's imagery there is not much structure on the floor of the river. Current lines and different times of the year dictate the areas we fish etc. The times the Brads come up are great for me too as it gets me out and it is really nice fishing with these guys.

It is too bad I had a family wedding that weekend or could have spent more time on the river. Maybe next time.

I have not been out since Labour day weekend but will be shortly and my bait will be tulibuees. Only a couple more weeks left to fish kitties.

You bring up a good point Canuck. We always knew the current seams were key to catfishing success up there but always thought there had to be something holding the fish in certain spots that are good year in and year out. I spend a lot of time with my side imager this past trip. (Kirk may have been a bit bored) I looked at most of the perennial hot spots and what I found was NOTHING. That place is flat with basically some rocks and the rise into and out of the channel. Once I figured that out I started watching how the currents were moving on the seams and there it is. Lockport is all about current reading. No electronics needed (other than for depth)