• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip ups?

i have seen people using tip ups to fish for panfish.has anyone ever done it?i would think that it would be a waste of time if you wernt catching only big fish.

[This message has been edited by drogers9317 (edited 12-18-2002).]

I would think it would be a waste also. If the panfish bite is that slow that you can use a tip-up, you may want to move. Using one rod to move and find active fish would be a much better bet. Scott Steil

I've never fished tip ups for anything but last year on "Wisconsin Woods and Waters" I was watching a guide named Larry Smith catching very big crappies on the backwaters of the Wisconsin River on tip ups. No reason it can't be done, just that they usually chase smaller baits through the ice.

We use tip-ups here in Wisconsin at times for a few reasons. One the fish are generally Slabs say 13 to 16 inchers. The fish do not want any movement with the jigging motion and are really finicky.Went up to Red Lake the last few years and have used this method very sucessfully during the daytime with Haley lures tipped with larger minnows. Most fish were 14 plus inches and up to 16 1/2. And they bite the same. Don't knock it till you try it.

Geeze...you catch alot of huge Crappies.

Do you ever take a video camera with and film these slabs? Then you could submit it to the local network...You'd be a celebrity in a hurry.

16.5 inch Crappie is a once in a lifetime catch. Heck, a 15" Crappie is a hell of a catch to put under the belt. Doing it on a regular basis is really a victory over the odds of nature.

Or I am just fishing the wrong lakes.

PCG

her in wisconsin we fish the Petenwell Flowage and Castle rock Which is part of the Wisconsin river. Both of these recieve little pressure for Crapie during the soft water periods because of high winds on both. Last weekend a guy caught a 17 3/4 inch slab by devils elbow on petenwell. 4.4lbs. crappieman wawa has crapies up to 13 or so but Upper REd has some really nice crappies. Fish bigger water for bigger crappies.

How about fishing no name, un-explored, tiny pits that nobody pays attention to.

Couple lakes I was told were "stunted" bodies of water, and never saw anyone on...
a field trip to explore landed a 15" Crappie and a 13.5" Crappie.

Yes, stunted alright.

PCG

Pcg If you got some to fish by yourself and take no one along, you may catch some. I for one do not have anything like that to fish without tresspassing. As for your area. You use to have a great area for large quantities of bull gills. Just remember it only takes one peep to ruin your spot. Maybe ten or so years will revive this again.Catch and release the big-uns.

It has been many a year since Red put out 16 inchers regularily. As for the tip-up idea...I don't have to try it. There are a lot better ways to accomplish the same thing without having to set a tip up. Yes, it would most likely work, however, if you think a little bit you might be able to come up with some great ways to get crappies on a dead stick that will allow you to still use a rod and reel.

Again, you may be suprised how much more fun it is going to find the fish versus hoping they find you.

Mike, you have to remember, we don't have the luxury of using as many lines in MN as our neighbors do. So, with two lines a tip-up would be a poor second option.
Scott Steil

[This message has been edited by ScottS (edited 12-26-2002).]

Just fished Minnewawa with 1 pole and 1 tip-up. Caught more fish with pole but used larger bait 2" shiners on tip-up and caught 10 nice crappies 12 1/2 to 13 inchers. On the pole i fish agressively and finesed them with bugs. Usually can get to the spot on the spot before setting the tip-up though. I generally move around a lot with my trap and i always fish away from the Crowds. tight lines. most times the bigger crappies take the bait more cautiuosly in my opinion.As for the 3 lines in wisconsin I only use 2 tip-ups on the pete flowage as they like very kittle movement.