• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gappen ugly bug

Dano2

what is a gappen ugly bug ?
where can I find it on the net
so i know what to look for.
Sounds like its good for crappie.

Speaking of crappie, been posting away in other areas of the forum, but no responses yet,
Anyone know if there are any lakes around th Dl or Cormorant lakes area that produce decnt crappie?

Does crappies fishen get better towards fall again?

thanks

How are you setting your line up, I dont jig for walleye becasue I cant ever seem to catch them unless I am pulling crankbaits .
do you use any weight, are you trolling, drifting, uaeing a float at all?

thanks in advance

There are lots of good crappie lakes around DL. The first one that comes to mind for Super Spabs is Dead. I would have to do some more thinking as to other lakes I have gotten a lot of nice crappies on.ScottS

Thanbks, Scotts,
I have never been on dead lake, could you point me in the right direction where I could start, I do have a map of it.

Do you know anything about Leek?Trowbridge?

How is the bite this time of year,
From what I ahve read, its tougher in the summer, best in the spring, but not sure about Fall and winter,

Thanks

OOPs, thought I had a map of that one, guess not, I was thinking of Long lake.
Where is Dead?

I haven't tryed this one yet either, but I hear Murphy is good for Crappie, plus has some good sized Gills in it?
Know anything about Murphy?

Also, I have heard fishing right off of
long Bridge(DL) on the Dead shot Bay side, is good for Crappie?

Any info. is much appreciated for this rookie crappie guy.

thanks

Dead is South of DL, near Dent I beleive. It has been awhile since I fished it so pointing you in the right direction will be a problem. However, it does stick in my mind for a big crappie lake. It also has nice gills but we were fishing crappies. 10-12 ft on the weedlines is where we found the numbers.

I have fished Leek and Murphy for gills. I know Leek has quite a few crappies in it, I just didn't get around to fishing them. There are so many good lakes in the area, I usually try to fish the real small lakes. Dead is rather large, but has some dandy slabs in it. Of course there is also Rush lake, that lake can produce so huge fish, but is tought to fish in the summer.ScottS

Crappie fishing this time of year can be awesome.

Look for fish suspending over 12-20 feet.

These fish will more then likely be active and aggresive, so a casting jig presentation would work best.

PCG

To set that up I just use the jig tied derect to the line. make sure the jig is heavy enough to get to the depth that you are working. I've seen guys add a split shot for more weight but I can't seem to get the feel for things as good as I would like that way. a slip bobber is also a good way to go if you wan't to stay a little off the bottom. but I would just use the jig and slowly work the edges. almost draging the Ugly bug along.

Ah yes, the UGLY BUG!!! Possibly the best
rock bass producer on the planet!!!!!
I first learned of this lure at a young age
while growing up on the Whitefish chain.
Fished on sandy and rocky bottoms, it immitates smaller crayfish, which it seems
the rock bass love. I caught a ton of them on
the ugly bug, by simply casting out and using a slow twitching retrieve.This was with
a 1/4 oz rig.

Also not so long ago, I put my ultralight
rig to a test on Lake Owasso here in town.
I had picked up some 1/16 and 1/32 "bugs"
and was just casting them out under some
overhanging trees, and letting them settle
down to the bottom. This must have immitated
a falling insect perfectly, because for every
cast under those trees, I got a fish!! And then I went to set the hook on a panfish,
my drag sceamed as never before!! After
my heart missed a few beats,and twenty
minutes had passed,I brought up my catch
next to the boat. It was a big ole carp!!
Had to be close to twenty pounds too, and there in its mouth was the "bug"!!

We bought some ugly bugs from a sport show once and some of Bobber Annes bobbers. Sorry to say but they didn't bring us any luck at all. We thought to that they looked great and produce some fish but not a one.
<><Mary><>

I'd go nuts with out the 6 inch crappie bobbers. That's about all I use for crappie, or with a leech slippin for some eyes. The thing I like about them other than the extreame sencitivity. iswith that collar and hook connection I can change size bobber with out a retie, remove it to jig, have it a set bobber slip bobber. They will come loose on ya if your not careful tho.

Boy is this an old string- I love Gapen Ugly bugs we used them to fish the ST. Louis with but we use them as a spinner bait not a jig, yellow and craw fish colors work well below the rapids. We add a small twister tail in white,orange,yellow. I used to sell tackle and I had a case of these babies. I have just have a few left but I see that I can order them from Gapen's again. Walleys/sm bass and Northerns love them. For river fishing I like the 1/4 teamed up with a Colorado blade spinner.