• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley Youth Archery Hunt

Monkster

I have taken 2 of my son's there in past years. It was a very good experience. Lot’s of room to rome and scout.

The first time was the inaugural youth hunt and my son harvested a fork on the last day. My advice would be to go up for the Friday morning orientation and spend as much time scouting as you can. I had never been there before so we mostly looked for areas that deer were crossing the road or walked logging roads that looked good. There is so much area to hunt that settling on a spot was actually hard!! We ended up hunting an area that was getting clear cut after we talked to one of the loggers and he said he had seen a nice 8 walking around. We did see that deer but never got within range of it. The second son hunted a few years later in the same general area but only saw does.

I would definitely pack a lunch and cooler and bring with you as driving back to the camp is a haul. They put on a nice breakfast in the morning and I believe a dinner one night. We stayed in town at a motel both times but a lot of people camped or stayed in the barracks.

All in all a very quality hunt and experience and highly recommended!!

That does sound like it went well. I figured that Friday would be good, so we are definitely planning on it. My only question was about sleeping in the barracks. If they are the barracks I am thinking, all beds are in a one room with no privacy...not so good for my snoring! A camper or hotel may be the way to go. Thanks Hugo.

Good info! Did you get some sort of map of the area? Or do they just point you in a certain direction? Did you mark your area somehow? Never been there & don't know how big the area is?? Ground blind or stand? Assume if you used stands you had to put up 2?

I have taken 2 of my son's there in past years. It was a very good experience. Lot’s of room to rome and scout.

The first time was the inaugural youth hunt and my son harvested a fork on the last day. My advice would be to go up for the Friday morning orientation and spend as much time scouting as you can. I had never been there before so we mostly looked for areas that deer were crossing the road or walked logging roads that looked good. There is so much area to hunt that settling on a spot was actually hard!! We ended up hunting an area that was getting clear cut after we talked to one of the loggers and he said he had seen a nice 8 walking around. We did see that deer but never got within range of it. The second son hunted a few years later in the same general area but only saw does.

I would definitely pack a lunch and cooler and bring with you as driving back to the camp is a haul. They put on a nice breakfast in the morning and I believe a dinner one night. We stayed in town at a motel both times but a lot of people camped or stayed in the barracks.

All in all a very quality hunt and experience and highly recommended!!

They handed out a nice map at the orientation. The area is smaller than the normal ripley hunt but still very large. There is a road that cuts across, I think it was Cassino (??). The hunt area was everything north of there except certain "stay out" areas that are well marked. We hunted the NW side. I setup 2 stands at first then one for junior if we moved (didn't have climbers then). I sat at bottom of tree in a makeshift blind and called a little for him.

I can't recommend this hunt enough. Camp Ripley, DNR, MDHA and all the rest of the voluneers do a great job with the kids and make it a great experience.

I can't recommend this hunt enough. Camp Ripley, DNR, MDHA and all the rest of the voluneers do a great job with the kids and make it a great experience.

Don't forget MSAA (Minnesota State Archery Assoc.)

It is a great deal for the kids and without these groups helping out it wouldn't happen. Thanks to them all!

I talked to a DNR guy at the Family Fun Shoot at Dakota County Gun club on 8/27 & he said the drawing had been held on 8/24 Wednesday & that letters were going out the week of Labor Day....

Hadn't gotten any letter, so figured my son hadn't gotten drawn.

Sounds like there is still hope smile

I talked to a DNR guy at the Family Fun Shoot at Dakota County Gun club on 8/27

I was there in the NWTF tent, talkin' turkey. Hope you stopped and said hi! A great day for kids don't ya think?

Well then there's still hope for Mitch then. I was thinking that they might post the results online but I hadn't seen a thing.

I'll take him up for the Youth hunt if he get's drawn but I think I've had my fill of the regular hunts for another 8 years or so.

Rob