• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

White Sucker Imitation

I will be fishing a lake that has a high population of white suckers and perch, but it's not a deep lake so no pelagic fish for the big girls to chase around. I'm set on baits that mimic perch, but am curious if anyone knows any big baits that mimic a white sucker? Something in the 12 inch range would be ideal.

Thanks!

you tube "2009 sucker swim bait". It is 10" long, about $40 and looks extremely real. Or if your like me, order a Muskie Mania "Jake" in the appropriate color A.K.A. Perch. They come in a billion colors, and sizes 6" 8" 10" and 14". I suggest the 8" Jake in color perch or glitter walleye (looks like a sucker). I have multiple lures from muskie mania. My most effective is the 6" Jake in Fire tiger. It is tough, runs 6-8' trolling and has a large wobble. Pike love it.

For shallower running baits, I have always wanted a Burt lure. 9" long and the unweighted model runs 4' deep when trolling.

Burts/Suicks over the weeds are great for pike. Used as a true jerkbait they do not run very deep at all (<2 feet). A weighted burt will get down about 5 feet during normal use, though you can probably get it lower in the water.

Thanks guys, I've got jakes and suicks but don't have a burt. Those are the one's I was thinking of as well as decent imitations but was wondering if there was something just like the swimbait 20lbSS mentioned, although at $40 I might skip it at this point in time.

I think a Super D / bulldawg in a gray and black might do the trick as well since I could get it deeper real easy. For the most part when I pike fish I think getting it in front of their face is often good enough as long as they are in a half positive mood, but when I can match up the presentation just enough to get them to not have to think twice about if what they are going after is food it helps.