• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

red lever

Mr. Wizard

I have a 70 hp 1999 Johnson outboard that won't start unless I turn the red lever under the cover. Looks like the lever is on a fuel line component. When I turn the lever fuel leaks out then the motor starts and I need to turn the lever back for the motor to keep running. What's the lever for and whats wrong?

I'm guessing that the red lever is on the primer solenoid, and is essentially a manual override which allows more gas to flow in.

Are you pushing the key (for a console setup) in when you crank the motor without the lever turned? Pushing the key in is supposed to activate the primer, allowing for a more rich fuel/ air mix when starting.

I guess I can't tell you how to activate the primer on a tiller setup.

That red lever is a backup for if you ever have to pull start the motor.

Normally, you would push the key in while starting the motor. That would have the same effect.

Either way, the motor does not have choke plates, but rather, fuel enrichment via nozzle/jet.

It's probably not a choke at all. Like I said, I think it's a manual primer "switch." It would be used exactly like you're using it.

A choke system works by using a plate in the carb to restrict airflow, which increases the amount of fuel in the fuel/ air mix that's sucked into the cylinder(s) to be ignited by the sparkplug(s).

A primer system works by using a primer to essentially inject more gas than normal into the fuel/ air mix that's sucked into the cylinder(s) to be ignited by the sparkplug(s).

I'm guessing that what's happening is that you're either not pushing your key in when you're turning it to start the motor, or your primer solenoid is not working properly. That could be due to a malcultioning solenoid or some other electrical component in the system (i.e. wires, the actual cylinder that your key goes into, etc).

Assuming you have a console setup, try taking the hood off your motor, turning the key to the on position (NOT start) and then push the key directly into the control box. you should hear a somehwat faint click. That's the solenoid engaging and allowing gas to flow. Assuming you hear a click, keep the key pushed in, and turn it to the start position. This will make the fuel/ air mix more rich and help your motor to start.

If your motor isn't starting by activating the the primer solenoid with the key, then you use the manual override as a temporary measure just to get you home and your motor repaired. Without pictures or a better description of what type of system you have (tiller/ console, where the red lever is, etc) it is kind of hard to say what, exactly, your issue is.

Is there a designated fuse for the electric choke or is the componet out?

There is not a specific fuse for the primer function.. it would be tied into your main motor fuse, which would mean nothing electric would work on the motor (electric starter, trim & tilt) if it was out.

Can you tell us what starting procedure you're using to start the boat? Push the key in, hold it, etc?

marine_man

It's a console not a tiller. I'm pushing the key in and then turning it. Pushing it in again and again and cranking the motor. I have two other boats with electric "choke" activated at the key and operte them the same way. Sounds to me that it's the primer solenoid I need to take in and have replaced. It starts right up when I use the red lever manually.

Okay, good to know.

I just discovered this summer that pushing the key in multiple times doesn't actually squirt more gas into the carbs. Pushing the key in basically just opens up an additional passage for gas to be sucked into the carbs due to the vacuum created by cranking. So, you have to hold the key in while cranking.

You may need to replace the solenoid, that's not a super rare thing. (I mean, they have a work-around built right into the thing, eh?) But be sure to pop the cover off the engine first and listen for it to actually work. Maybe have someone else at the control and you can stand back my the motor to listen. Just make sure you're clear of all the (potentially) turny bits...

Pushing the key in basically just opens up an additional passage for gas to be sucked into the carbs due to the vacuum created by cranking.

Technically, fuel pump pressure squirts it in. Of course, the fuel pump wont create pressure unless the engine is turning over. I'm sure the bit of engine vacuum helps pull it in too.

Interesting. I might have to do a bit of poking around in my motor then. I have a clear fuel line running from the primer to the carb, and I could see (thanks to some small air bubbles in the line) that the gas would flow a bit when I initially pushed the key. But I would get no more flow until I cranked the motor. Of course, maybe I just had to build up some more pressure in the fuel pump... God I love boat maintenance. (Actually, it is kind of fun turning wrenches.)