• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decarbonising boat motors?

leech~~

Does anyone do this on a regular bases or at all? Do you spray the motor or use the "Ring Free" products in your fuel? I had a ring hang up and trash my motor so I guess I will be looking into using some on the next 2 cyl one I buy. If you do how has it worked for you and have you noticed a difference after you did it? confused

I used deep creep. Took the cowling off, then the rubber inserts to gain access to the carb throats and sprayed it evenly in each carb for about ten minutes. I know I soaked each cylinder also, but cant remember if I did it before or after I sprayed through the carbs. They say to soak them overnight, which I did. There is a good post somewhere on how to do it. Make sure you have your prop in a tub and not just on the muffs, it makes a huge mess of black crud. All in all it made a nice difference. My motor idles down better and starts better from doing it. Brought compression up a tad, 130 across the board. I also ran the seafoam gallon treatment prior to all of it. Thats also in another post. Basically a full 16 ounce can of seafoam, .75 gallon of gas, and 3 ounces of oil if you dont have oil injection all in a seperate can. Run that whole gallon straight through your fuel line at idle and just cruising speed, not wide open. Decarbing is a two part process.

Thanks for the info, JosMN. To bad my boat has a built in 12 gal tank and I don't have a small one to do the fuel line cleaner. I did pick up a can of spray today to try out Friday.

My predator has a 27 gallon (I think its 27?) built in tank. I just took a small two gallon gas can, put the mix in, took off the main fuel hose (which is located on the splashwell) behind the primer bulb and put the hose directly into the gas can. It worked perfectly. You can tape the hose down in the can so it doesnt jump around if you want, I didnt though.

I have a Yamaha so I've started to use their ring free product. Used to use seafoam but have had better luck with this stuff. Put an ounce in every time I fill it up (20 gal. inboard tank) and double shock it when I put it away at the end of the season. Gas is always good in the spring and I haven't had the carb problems I use to. Performance wise might be a little better, didn't notice to much that way. Keeps the plugs (and I'm assuming the cylinders) cleaner though.