• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PAW REPAIR?

vitalshot5

Hello everyone, I had my Lab at the shack this weekend and he ended up cutting one of the pads on his rear paw, anyone got any remedies or ways to protect this from happening again, Ive tried the boots but they drive him nuts, any suggestions for healing paw and future protection would be great, thanks.

I know its kinda a lame to copy an answer from elsewhere, but whatever....

Quote:

There's just no good way to suture footpads. It's a different type of tissue, and sutures don't hold well, no matter how we do it.

Studies have even been done that show trying to suture deep pad cuts (even with tension stents) does NOT improve healing quality or time over what you are doing now. There's no way to rush it. It's going to take a good 2-4 weeks, often toward 3 or 4, sometimes longer. And that's IF you keep him from walking on it. Every time he puts his weight down on it, it's going to cause the tissue to spread and partially undo any healing that has already taken place. Even with bandaging, walking is not recommended. I have had good success with taping the foot up in a certain way (don't try it yourself, or you can cut off his circulation) to keep him from putting his foot down....it will make him walk 3-legged for a time. Your DVM will know what I'm talking about. You can still leave the footpad unbandaged when he's in...and bandage it (loosely) when he goes out, just to keep the dirt and debris out.

Other than that, continue the antibiotics until it's GOOD and healed....and rinse it out as needed with warm water and/or betadine while it's open. The betadine often stimulates a good bed of granulation (healing) tissue to form.

I've seen many that were healing quite nicely due to the above....only to have them open back up and have to start all over again by letting the dog bear weight too soon on that foot. I know he'll pout about missing his daily time in the woods (I'm heading out there right now myself, in fact)...but you just have to entertain him another way for awhile. Give him a good ear rub for me...and tell him I understand.

Good luck! Sounds like you're on the right track. :-)

Source(s):

I'm a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. (And yes, despite what all the textbooks say, I HAVE tried to suture these up early in my career, because I am a surgeon and just didn't believe it, lol. I tried a few ingenuous 'tricks,' too. I'm pretty creative. Doesn't work. Trust me. Don't waste the money on surgery if anyone suggests that...it's better spent on the antibiotics.)