• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold start and rough idle

Chode2235

I have a Yamaha 150 txrd 2 stroke carbed motor. Motor has been a little slow to start, but I freshened up the gas (the tank is 40 gallons so it takes a while to burn through the old stuff, yes it is treated with fuel stabalizer), and that seemed to help a bit.

Most of the time it runs like a champ and will start right up afterwords, but recently it has been having trouble starting later in the day.

For instance, if I am out fishing a spot for 3-4 hours the motor is almost impossible to start (harder than the initial cold start) and then idles poorly. Even if I run it hard after that, when I bring it back down to an idle it sputters and sneezes a bit and will cut out. Once it cuts out it is again really hard to start.

I checked the plugs, put fresh gas in and treated that, and I checked the fuel filter for water and gunk (nothing). I am thinking my carbs may be getting dirty, but what else can it be? Battery not having enough juice?

I havent emptied my carb bowls (and never did it at the end of last season either).

thoughts, help?

Also, any idea on what a carb job costs?

I would first do a compression test. Not that I believe your engine is shot, but just to rule things out. I would also check for spark on all 6 cylinders, especially when its not starting. Next check for any fuel line leaks, dirty filters. Once all the obvious things are checked, I would have a suirt can of gas or carb cleaner and try giving it a shot to see if that helps. If it does then I would say a carb job is in order.