• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

71' Johnson

shawn1982

Took the boat out tonite and had trouble with the motor. It started really hard but thinking I just flooded it we took a quick cruze around the lake before setting up to fish. When I put the boat in Neutral it started "catching" and eventually popped itself in to forward and then I couldnt get it out of forward. I even tried to put it in reverse and it went faster in forward. Anyone know what might be my problem??!! 71 Johnson 100 horse! Thanks!!!

More then likely our sift cable broke and your stuck in forward. A new cable is inexpensive.

To verify this take the cover off and look at the at linkage while someone shifts the controls. The throttle will move but not the shift linkage.

On second thought I think you do have hydro electric sift.

First check the lower unit oil. If low or milky replace with type c lower unit oil.

Then give it a try.

You should have wires running down to the lower unit, I'll look them up and give you a place to start trouble shooting them.

yes it is a hydro electric...i should have a green red and blue that run down from the powerhead. How do i test each wire to make sure they have 12 volts in each? Im not a mechanic by any means! cry

Yes it is lol and keep in mind new parts are no longer available for that anymore. That micro switch for shifting is NLA. Be very carefull not to lose anything in there.

To answer your qestion about where to check for power, there are "knife" connectors just inside the bottom cowl going down to the lower unit.