• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brendles Bay ~Sakakawea

If every fish is like this it’s gonna be a great day.

Brendles Bay Resort is dead center of the best walleye bite I get to experience every summer. It’s located on the east side of the Van Hook Arm just a few miles west of Parshall, ND. Brendles lake store has everything you could need from bait to ice cream. If walleyes and food ain’t enough the pretty smiles anticipating your arrival will be.

We got on the water a bit before 8 and with the morning report for KFYR finished we headed north to the end of Shell Creek. Word was out the bite had kicked in and I had high expectations. I was not disappointed. By 10 am we had two limits of 18 inchers and up. Not just me either, nets were out at every boat. Before noon fishermen were already bunched up telling lies to one another.

Early morning water temps in the 70’s is always a good sign. That and high water flooding vegetation is a Sakakawea formula for great fishing. If they are all like our first fish this is going to be better than a great day. It was. Don’t come here if releasing fish gives you a headache. We have a limit you know.

With a data base full of prior experiences it was an easy choice for jointed cranks. I normally run Shad Rap Jointed 5’s and Grappler Shads all in a Firetiger pattern. This area is 4 lines out with fish on 3. Easy fishing, just the way I like it.

The scenario is like this. A walleye hits and you cut the throttle, begin reeling and remember to pull the kicker out of gear. Just as the boat begins to slow your second fish hits. Forgetting that one you focus on netting the first while the 3rd walleye hits. It is a mad house!

Don’t like cranks, not a problem. Every boat out had the nets in overdrive. Smiles were rampant. I’ve never seen so many happy people at one place. Bouncers, Lindys, Spinners, Cranks they are all working right now. Sakakawea bring it on.

I have been pulling cranks for several years now and over that time I’ve tried a lot of different connectors. My number one choice is Norman Speed Clips. If they every stop making them I would use a cross lock but I hope I never see the day.

Putting them on is an art. Don’t try to squeeze them, it won’t work. Just press down on the split ring and it will open up and with a twist, snap right in place. They are fast, very simple and tuff. I have never had one fail. Also they are tiny and light, just what I like for tying on a crank.

10-12 feet seemed to be the depth I spent most time in. Very few snags and lots of room. The fish are scattered so it keeps the boats spread out. Wind was mid 20’s, a little on the high side. Shell Creek is somewhat protected so it wasn’t a problem. Those live baiting just tossed out a sock and enjoyed a long drift.

This happens every year about this time, don’t put it off. Brendles will be eager to help. Give ’em a call and set something up. I’d like to spend more time convincing you how easy fishing is and what a great time you’re gonna have but I’ve got fish frying. Gotta go.

full-34939-10017-firstfish.jpg

full-34939-10018-gps.jpg