• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plant ID?

fishinchicks

The approved common name is giant ragweed, also known locally by "kinghead", "horseweed", "sneezeweed" & "ironweed". It is a cool season weed and will get started early in the spring. Interesting tidbit about giant ragweed is that it was one of the first plants to populate the soils as the glaciers receeded as determined by pollen records.

Thanks, Dotch! This really threw me off, since the weeds are so short, and in such a thick patch. Any advice on how to get rid of it using organic methods? We have an organic certifying committee coming out to our place in a few weeks, so we're trying to get everything looking nice.

Yep....

I'll get it in abundance some years... The stalks are rather fibrous when it gets bigger and I'll pull them dry them and use them like a straw mulch cover if I've got some bare spots in the garden etc...

Thanks, Dotch! This really threw me off, since the weeds are so short, and in such a thick patch. Any advice on how to get rid of it using organic methods? We have an organic certifying committee coming out to our place in a few weeks, so we're trying to get everything looking nice.

There are many biotypes of this weed and their physical appearance can vary from location to location, even within the same field. Giant ragweed has had a banner season with the cool spring so look out in August any of you who are allergic to the pollen. It's kept us busy with additional control measures to be sure. Not always the easiest weed to contain even with non-organic methods. In keeping with the organic methods and since it is an annual, your best bet is mowing if possible. A couple times and it will likely succumb. Depending on the size and location of the patch, one of those portable propane weed burners might be another option. Tillage works as well.

Depending on the size and location of the patch, one of those portable propane weed burners might be another option. Tillage works as well.

Oooh! Another reason to want a portable flamer! Maybe that is what hubby will get for his birthday next week. laugh He is out flaming weeds in the corn right now, but the spot with the ragweed is not in a location where he can get at it with the big flamer.

I am very allergic to ragweed, which is another reason why I want it gone from the yard.