• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalo Lodge

Buffalo Lodge

How many did you get Levi? “Hmm, just a second, -----24.”

Levi is the expert on northern in our family. Talk northern and his eyes switch to high beam. I’m good either way, that is unless the walleye are biting. At that point I merge to one lane and admit to being narrow minded.

A friend reminded me how good the fishing has been at Buffalo Lodge. It’s only 25 miles away and seems strange that I’ve never fished it. That all changed this spring and today is the 3rd trip back in as many weeks.

First trip was for walleye which peaks in mid-May. Our next trip was a combination adventure. The kids all loaded into the 11 foot boat with a 3 horse Evinrude. My wife and I took the little Lund and looked for walleye. Levi claims he caught 24 northerns that day, but remember, he’s a fisherman. I have yet to meet a fisherman that can count.

Buffalo Lodge is just east of Minot and easy to find. Try Google Earth to get your bearings. Next, google up ND Game and Fish. Look for the search box in the upper right. Type in Buffalo Lodge and up comes options. Click the first one and presto, you have a contour map you can print complete with stats. Thanks guys.

Buffalo Lodge comes with camping and boat ramp, no extra charge. Something you only see here in ND. The ramp is good but soft due to high water. Big boats and 2 wheel drive are going to leave you scratching your head. Even my little 16 foot Lund needs 4 wheel drive to get ‘er out.

With high water everywhere in ND, small lakes are something you should consider. Sakakawea has yet to fire up. Up 40 feet, it is at capacity and has never moved this much water. Same for the Missouri and Devils Lake. Our small lakes are high as well, but all this water is bringing life back after a dry stretch.

First cast I get bit off. Levi nails one and continues to out-pace me about 10 to 1. I’m hoping for a walleye that never does show. The jig and tail just ain’t got it for attracting pike. When I do get hit it is 50/50 if I get bit off. Bring lots of jigs if you’re pitching for walleye, yur gonna need em.

3 feet into last year’s weed-line is Levi’s advice. “Let the spoon slip down and then begin a slow retrieve.” I asked the little expert about a 5 of Diamondsand he shrugged, “Don’t like it, just doesn’t work.” He’s not very talkative right now, too focused. Maybe I can get more out of him later.

I’m just about out of jigs so I suggest we pull cranks for a while. A move out into 12 feet keeps us out of the weeds and yet close enough for fast action. Too fast in fact. I can’t keep 4 lines running. Several doubles have lines wrapped in a mess along with my patience.

You always hear you catch bigger fish on cranks. Today it’s true, our fish size just doubled. If you spend some time, you will go home with an average of 4 to 6 pound northern. Some are much bigger, some are much smaller. Get a good night’s sleep and plan on a busy day.

It’s gett’n late and I’ve unhooked enough fish to keep me happy for several days. Levi could stay another week. In fact he and his brother suggested camping out here. I’ve had fun, but my mind is already planning the next walleye trip.

full-34939-9631-levi.jpg