• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Murray Snow Blower?

Ice_Fishin07

I was thinking about doing some preventive maintenance on my Murray Snowblower with 8HP tecumseh engine. Mainly thinking about changing oil and plug? Does anybody know how to change oil on that engine (I couldn't find drain plug). Any other needed maintenance?

Thanks.

The drain plug on that engine should be at the back of the engine; it usually is a 4" threaded pipe or extension tube with a threaded cap. Unscrew the cap (you may have to clamp the extension to keep it from turning in the engine block), tilt the blower back, and let the oil drain. Refill with correct oil. (Usually 5W-30)I run the gas out of the engine; then drain the carb float bowl by pushing up on the drain screw/spring assy under the bowl. Close fuel line petcock. (You may not have one of these, depending on the age of your blower.) Remove plug and fog cylinder with fogging oil, or pour about a tablespoon or so of engine oil into the cylinder, and with plug out, SLOWLY pull starter cord once. Re-install plug. Spray cable housings with WD-40 or similar lubricant, silicone, etc. I also spray carb throat. Check and lube all linkage, including carb linkage and governor, adjust tensioners on cables for proper engagement. Check and tighten auger mounting bolts on side of housing. Adjust scraper bar if needed. Depending on your skill level, you can drop belly pan and grease drive gears, check belts and drive wheel rubber.

Lube axle shafts and check tire air pressure. This should get you good to go.

Just my 2c