• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird ID???

wannafish2

Hey all,

I had a visitor over the last week that didn't catch my eye right away...but now I am looking for some ID help.

This bird has typical brown and white finch/sparrow like markings with brown/grey and white striping on the head similar to a Cassin's female or female House finch but more defined. It looked at first like a female Cassin's on serious steroids. Size wise it is smaller than a robin but larger than a common sparrow....so much larger than the several dozens of finches I see every day.....what the heck?

Online searches brought me to a AUSTRALASIAN PIPIT as the closest pic of what this bird looks like. The typical Pipit pictures that migrate through MN wasn't close...this bird has a rounded/pronounced belly like a fat finch.

Any of you birders out there have any suggestions?

It was seen in the Detroit Lakes/Moorhead area of Minnesota.

I'd look at the female rose breasted grosbeak as well. Every year, when they show up at the feeder, I think I'm seeing a giant female purple finch until the old grey cells of memory kick in.

YAY! it IS a female Rose breasted Grosbeak....Thank you oh wise birders!

Now, another quandry....I have several dozen goldfinches visiting my feeders, male and female...pretty simple to tell the difference. HOWEVER, has anyone seen a goldfinch with typical female coloration, but with a bright yellow patch on its head? Looks like the males black patch but it is on a female (dull yellow typical female coloration) and is bright yellow on the head....? again...huh? online searches have turned up nothing.....any ideas? thanks