• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dont sit that boat!!

amateurfishing

@ $350 for labor a half day would be around $85 per hour. This guy is probably up-charging the parts too. A standard up-charge would be 20% to 25%. IMO $85 an hour would not be unreasonable for a labor rate. $100 an hour is getting high and more than that is unreasonable. Don't forget about diagnostics and ordering parts, etc. which all takes time. Make sure that the mechanic guarantees that the authorized repairs will solve the problem. The main thing -- will the boat run like a tame kitten when you push the throttle forward? Then a fair price is worth every penny.

Sounds like some confusion on the difference between "Flat Rate" (book time, which is set by the manufacturer) and "Shop Rate" (actual time) Usually dealerships charge Flat Rate for warranty work and work done on vehicles 10 years old or newer and Shop Rate for older models. Some dealers also charge a 1 hour Shop Rate fee for diagnosis.

Always ask what is the Shop Rate Fee and what is the Flat Rate Time and are there any diagnosis/disposal/storage/shop supplies fees involved and you will be able to find the most competitive price without sticker shock later.

If you have any doubt if some of the work being done is unnecessary, ask them to save your old parts before authorizing any repairs.

Don't forget to inquire about the details of the warranty or guarantee and what voids them, as they are not all the same.

An honest marine mechanic that knows what he's doing, and keeps up on all of the new technology of the newer motors is priceless. My guy, who I've gone to for years, currently charges $97.5/hour, and is worth every cent.

I recently sent my buddy that couldn't get his motor started to him. He called me after the test run, and was quite pleased with the work, but stated 'that guy should be arrested, he charged me 97 bucks an hour'. I then asked 'what do you charge for an hour of your services?'. He replied '300 bucks'. I hung up on him.

An honest marine mechanic that knows what he's doing, and keeps up on all of the new technology of the newer motors is priceless. My guy, who I've gone to for years, currently charges $97.5/hour, and is worth every cent.

I recently sent my buddy (he's an attorney), that couldn't get his motor started to him. He called me after the test run, and was quite pleased with the work, but stated 'that guy should be arrested, he charged me 97 bucks an hour'. I then asked 'what do you charge for an hour of your services?'. He replied '300 bucks'. I hung up on him.