• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking in a motor

Walleye #1

Just got a new 75HP Mercury Tiller put on today..stoked to get out and use it. I have a ten hour break in period on the motor..after that period, does a guy have to take it back in? Or any advice for this process?

Walleye #1

I would get that wide open throttle time in during the 10 hr break in, following the manual exactly. I'm sure the manual won't let you get to WOT for the first hour or two, but after that do get some WOT time for short spurts followed by some cool down time at lower RPM's. You gotta seat those rings so you don't get fuel blow by and "make oil", like 4 strokes are sometimes guilty of.

My only other advice is to get at least the first 5 hours done all at once. Your motor will be fully warmed up for all of it. Go to a good size lake so you don't have to circle around 300 times. I went to Leech for the first 5 hours.

Should be some posts here to search for on this topic. Sounds like a beaut of a motor, enjoy!