• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welding

FBMH

Hey all, got a question for you guys. I have a semi v flatbottom and it needs a small touchup to cover a crack that's forming on the v. It's approx. 6in long and it's not a serious issue yet. My question is how much would it cost about to weld it together? I heard aluminum is hard to weld so I'm curious. If you need more info, which you prolly will, let me know. Thanks guys,

Cody

Plate aluminum isn't that hard to weld as long as it's clean and virgin metal. Welding over an existing weld may get a little trickier depending on how good or bad it was welded last time. If it were me I would grind as much of the old weld off as possible, and open up the crack with a small dremel tool to get to clean metal. Then weld up the crack from both sides if possible, and grind it flat and smooth. I would then take a plate of 1/8" aluminum that covers the entire crack and 1" larger all the way around and fully weld around it to give extra support, maybe even do it to both sides if possible.

You are going to want to find every last bit of that crack and dremel it out of there, otherwise if you miss one tiny section of it that crack will very likely return or keep expanding.

It's not going to be a cheap fix if you have the shop do all the work, but if you talk with them and see what kind of prepwork you can do beforehand like grinding and dremeling you may be able to save some money if you feel comfortable doing some of the prepwork yourself.

nothing worse than chaseing a weld crack if you find the end of the crack take a drill bit like 1/8th 3/16th and drill at the end of the crack so when it is welded it can not creep forwards also cleanliness is next to Goddliness when it comes to aluminum use new Stainless Steel wire brushes and do not use a grinder or brush that has been used on steel as this may contaminate the area as well.

also no matter how clean you get it it will still have to be finished prepped by the weld shop.

If you think you have it clean enough clean it some more.

My guess for weld like that and all the prep work I would guess it would cost 75-100 dollars.

hope this helps