• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice for getting last falls sod to grow.

goose89

Had a landscape project last mid-October that was involved sod being put down.It was watered adequately up til freeze. Looks okay right now (minus a few dog spots), but can tell it's getting a bit dry underneath. I've got very sandy, quick to dry up soil underneath my thin layer of topsoil.

Is it too early to start watering?

Same watering and fertilizing principles apply? (water in morning, never in evening and wait a bit to fertilize?

What type of fertilizer should I initially spread? and when?

Thanks in advance!

Not to be harsh, but if you have "very sandy soil" and a "thin layer of top soil", you will be fighting a losing battle.

Sod is grown in a low field with a heav(ier) clay soil, and once pulled out of that soil, will dry up quickly.

With the sandy soil, you can water 2 times per day, but eventually you will lose the sod, it may take 3-5 years....

You should have at least 3" of good top soil under the sod in order for it to root.

If it's already that dry underneath, you'll have a real battle come summer heat trying to keep the sod green.

But, with all that said, what's done is done.

You can start to water now, but it will not green up soon.

Sod takes the longest to green in the spring if let to go dormant the year before.

Ground temps are still too cool for much growth to take place, or root movement.

As for fertilizing, you can start after about the 1st of May, IF it warms up after this week.

One more tip on that soil which may help, don't mow that sod shorter than 4". It'll keep the roots cooler and help hold the moisture better.

Thanks for the heads-up LwnmwnMan2. I probably made it sound worse than it is, but I didn't want to underplay it either. We did have black dirt put down anywhere from 12" tapering down to original ground level and then sod laid over that. ("Raised" paver patio that's the height (about 1 foot") of out old wood deck. So, although we do have sandy soil in most of the yard, I do have a fair amount of dirt / topsoil underneath most of the sod.

I will be prepared to water quite liberally though. Will two dogs (Vizsla's) running around on it be a serious problem?? Or is it vital to stay off it while it's trying to get established??

Thanks again for the words of wisdom and what to expect.

You can try to keep them off of one specific area, but just running around, laying, typical life a dog carries on shouldn't be much of an issue. After all, the root system is already in place, its just getting the sod to "stick" is the next step.

One main thing, try to keep them from "rounding a corner" as you let them out of the house, if that's an issue. It'll just dig a rut quickly.

Sod or no sod, a dog in spring will tear up a lawn. Specially in a scenario like Lawnie said. Don't let the dogs run around corners or make sharp turns.

Mid October for sod is cutting it close. It might have started to root in, but not very well. Can you peel the sod up? I always pull up on sod and look at the roots. if you cant pull it up very easily its rooting in. I would still keep the dogs from running on it for a few weeks until things start growing well.

Thanks guy. All the sod is real green, expect for the occasional dog spot. Sod looks better than the rest of lawn. I realize it's gonna take a while for it take real hold. It got a bit of grip when I try to pull it up, but definately not rooted solid.

I'll TRY to limit the dogs. It was 1/2 of Vizsla tag this evening. 100MPH, but mostly on the established lawn. I'll hopefully have positive news later on this summer. Thanks again...

Given the evolution of info through this thread, I think you'll be fine. Green sod, somewhat of a grip on the soil by the roots, though light (expected when laid that late last fall). And with about a foot, you've got plenty of topsoil beneath those roots.

Good luck keeping the Vizslas from gripping and ripping. grin

Sounds like your sod is doing well. Once it dries up a bit start watering, and don't let it get brown! I would hold off on fertilizing as well until the lawn is established. Id wait a year personally. Just keep watering it. and spot shot for any weeds.

Sod is typically heavily fertilized at the farm. Obviously those nutrients might and probably are gone now. Did you put down a starter fertilizer before you sodded? A fertilizer light on Nitrogen, but heavier in Potassium and Phosphorous tilled in to the soil is usually adequate in advance of fine grading and laying sod. Most people skip this step, even myself.

No fertilizer is ok, but sooner or later you'll have to feed it something. After the sod roots into the soil, it does benefit from a complete fertilization. But until that happens I wouldn't think about fertilizing, specially if its hot and dry. Typically fertilizing new sod that isn't fully rooted in will just end up burning the roots.

If the root system seems firmly attached to the underlying soil, go ahead and fertilize. I would just keep watering with and fertilize in mid summer if it is not too hot and the sod is rooted in really well.

Water is all it should really need for now.

Thanks....that makes sense.....one less "to do" (for now). I'm liking this cool, damp forcast, at least for the sod. I'm hoping those roots strengthen up before the heat comes.