• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size breaker (fuse) do I need?

Sergio M

I just bought a Minnkota Maxxum 24v 74lbs. Do I need to put an inline breaker or a inline fuse. Was size would work? Thanks

I assume that since you just purchased this thing, it also came with an owner's manual. Look in there for installation instructions and I'm certain they will tell you what you need.

I bought the motor used and it did not come with a manual. I went and pick up a 50amp breaker. Hooked everything up, works fine in the garage. Can't wait tell I can get her on the water. Thanks for the info.

Spinning the motor out of the water doesn't put a load on the motor so you weren't testing it under real conditions. The real test will be whether it will still work under the load of pushing the boat.

IMO, the size of the fuse is determined by the size of the wire. The goal is to have the fuse blow before the wire melts.

If you're using a 50 amp breaker, make sure you're using 8 ga wire or thicker.

True to a point. In cases where the circuit is used to supply a specific end device, the OEM will often spec out supply OCPD. In this case, they require it to protect the end device and the installer is responsible to use suitable components to meet that specification.

In the case of Minn Kota electric trolling motors, I was unable to find manuals online and my owner's manual does not specify using an OCPD. It shows the motor leads connected directly to the battery without OCPD installed indicating they are not necessary. In this case, if you install fusing, you need to make sure the fusing and wire are suitable for the FLA of the motor. If the motor is rated at 42FLA, there's a good chance you will experience nuisance trips with a 40A supply circuit.