• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is 14 wks too old?

esox86

What are your thoughts on getting a pup that is already 14 wks? Am i getting myself into an uphill battle right from the start or is there still plenty of time to develope a strong bond and a diciplined hunting machine?

depends on the breeder...

Is the dog whiling the days away in a litter box? Or is it being fully socialized with people, other dogs, birds, intro to obedience, etc. etc.

I've had a few pps in litters where: people backed out, wanted me to hold the pup for them and start it with obedience etc. and kept a pup a changed my mind and sold it... these all went home at 12-20 weeks no worse for the wear... BUT they were fully exposed to the world, knew their name and had a start on training... they were not timid little dogs waiting for someone to buy them... I've seen that with 2 of my friends dogs and let's just say niether lasted with them more than 2 years...

many many many training and social issues. You'll have to gauge yourself where this dog is at in regards to where it SHOULD be at that age.

Good Luck!

Ken

Not sure what you're asking...

Kill a pup cuz' it's in a shelter? or because they aren't at a breeders being socialized? Actually many of those pups have waaaaaay more socializing than a pup at some of the breeders out there. They are handled by multiple people, they are exposed to many other dogs, they are generally taken outside for excercise, they have been forced to assimilate to new environments... (different kennels, pens, bldgs etc.)... some breeders do nothing more than produce a pup and call it a day.

Trust me twice I have seen dogs that were 13-16 weeks old come from breeders that did no more than 'breed' the dog. I went to Iowa with a friend to pick up a pointer pup from a supposed great breeder... these pups were 14 almost 15 weeks old... He said he had one left from the breeding cuz it had a small hernia and the buyer turned him down. 'Was thinking of keeping him himself'... uh huh... Suppose to be great pup... I went with him and after watching pup for 20 minutes and taking him outside of the pole shed, told him not to buy it as it definitley had issues with timidness... it was not properly socialized to people or other dogs besides mom... he bought it anyways, against my advice. Gave it to a family as a pet 2 years later. Couldn't take it anymore... not bold at all in the field, peeing issues in the house, would not hunt with dogs it did not know... etc.

The other was a 'won' pup (use that term lightly) at a Minnesota Waterfowl function. 12 week old lab... This dog was afraid of it's own shadow. My buddy won it and let it go to someone 'who could make something of him' at 6 months old. That guy had him for maybe another 6-8 months and gave it away as a pet. Was never going to hunt... afraid of everything... jittery as a cat on a hot tin roof.

I'm not saying you can't get a dog at 12 weeks old and end up with a dandy... I was saying to look at what the breeder has done to start the pup off on the right track. Gauge the pup and it's personality and make a decision based on what you see...

Good Luck!

Ken

Let me say this, I got my lab at 10 weeks old. I couldn't imagine having a closer bond with this dog than I have with him. What will really make the difference (like already said)is where you get you the dog from. That info is #1 no matter how old you get your pup. Make you know and met both parents!! Make sure they are the type of dog you want with temper, attitude, drive and etc.... If it's not in both parents then you can't expect to get it out of your dog.

So I would say 14 weeks isn't too late if you have done your research. If you haven't then do yourself a favor and do so.

I would take a 14 week old over a 8 week old any day as long as its been socialized. Little puppies basically [PoorWordUsage], sleeps and whine their litter mates. I don't like little puppies because I enoy my sleep. Give me an older dog anyday. My opinion is also that a dogs age has little to do with how well a dog will bond to its owner. I think what the owner does with the dog that is going to have a bigger impact on their relationship then the age they were aquired. Look at many of the working dogs out there for examples such as seeing eye dogs, K9 officers, Search and Rescue. etc they are nearly full grown when they are given to their handlers. Those dog/handler teams are probably some of the strongest bonds out there because they spend so much tme together. I am sure there are plenty of people who have bought a finished hunting dog from a kennel and are just as bonded with it as they would have been if they go it as a 8 week old pup. What breed is it? I am curious because I am thinking of adding a pup this spring.