• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 Yamaha HPDI trim problem

wplatehunter

Last fall the trim at the console would not go down, but it would go up. I could put the motor up or down from the front of the boat or on the motor its self. I have read about bad relays. Has anyone else had this problem? It slowly went out over the summer sometimes it would work and other times it would not. It is still in storage, but I want to fix the problem this spring. Thanks for the help. The boat is a 2004 Pro V and the date on the motor says it was made in 2002.

I would say if it is a relay problem the trim would not work from any location. Being that it only is acting up at the console I would start with the switch there and also check the harness from the switch to the engine. If you have access to a multi meter you can check out the switch and wiring fairly quick. Normally it will be a faulty switch or a loose wire connection.

If the relay was bad the trim would not work from any location. Because it still works from the other Two switches when the control handle switch does not work I would say it is not a relay issue. I would suspect the switch in the handle to be bad or a wire issue. It might be a bad relay and just a coincidence that it will work if going up to the bow and using that switch, stranger things have happened. The trim relay should not care what switch you are using e.g. bow,control handle or engine mounted switch.

The trim works in the front and on the motor just not the console. I talked to a dealer near me today, and they told me to take a photo of the switch in the handle and e-mail it to them so they could make sure they have the right one. They also said if the relay was bad it work not work anywhere else. They stated that the switch was around a $100 and to install it would be around $200 total. Does that sound right? Thanks again.

I'd take a look behind the control box / handle and make sure the wire didn't disconnect by accident before I'd look into replacing the switch in the handle.

What you'll be looking for s a bad connection at the blue wire connection behind the control box. They should be visible...

marine_man