• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stiff recoil

Jmnhunter

when i was duck hunting last fall, it was under 15 degrees or so, and when i tried pulling the recoil it was really stiff and would recoil slowly; i tried it about 3 times and knew there was no way i was goign to start the motor with it being so stiff. any suggestions? when its warmer it pulls just fine

15hp evinrude '76

It really depends on the type of grease in there. I always use a lithium or white grease. Sounds like the grease may have been stiff from the low temps. Gets kinda sticky. I guess I would disassemble and inspect the spring anyway, clean up and regrease it depending on what I found.

Make sure your rope is clean and dry as well. a wet rope obviously is not going to be very flexible when its 15 degrees. Also make sure its not full of oil or grease as ropes tend to get loaded with [PoorWordUsage] fairly easily. take out rope and wash it in the sink with some good dawn dishsoap, let dry and replace. Or just buy a new rope.