• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3M Scotchgaurd Film - Trailer / Boat "protection"

goose89

Anyone have any experience with this product (or anything similar), esp. for trailer / boat applications?

I've got a new (2010) custom painted trailer (looks nice, but also won't for long I'm afraid) that I'd like leading edges protected. Not interested in getting it "tuff-coated" or Rhino-lined. Very expensive.

I'm wishin' I'd have waited a year, as the Tuff-coating is standard for my particular boat. But, I've got what I've got, and want to keep it ding / rust free.

Are you talking about chipguard? How much of the trailer do you want to do, just the front angle? We use this at work on the lower 10 inches of charter buses. How wide are you looking at? I have a ton extra sitting on my toolbox, I think its about 6 tall, not sure how long.....but I know its quite a bit.

Ya...The best I can tell, it's the same thing as Chipgaurd. Lot's of companies call the basic 3M paint protection film different things. Chipgaurd, Vantage, Scotchal, and some others I can't recall. Sounds like the same thing...application wise anyways.

Would like to do the leading edges of this trailer. I think a 6" strip would be enough for the face and bottom, but I'd want it done by someone that knows what he's doing. I like doing things myself, but I like things done right even more.

full-1519-6304-img_1110.jpg

I wouldn't want to "take" any from you're employer, but thanks, if that was an offer. Good to see your V's again.

I've got a Road Wing flap that's cut just right that I'm happy with.

I've heard of and witnessed way too many reports of TowTectors not working that well on gravel. Good for road, but unless you drive 30mph on gravel, they don't stop much. Thanks anyways.

The moisture under the film is why I wouldn't do this myself.

Where you located? I don't think that would be that tough of a job, can't say that I have ever done a trailer though, but I do install vinyl graphics and wraps for a living, so I guess I can kinda say I know what I'm doing.:) I get a lot of guys that want the front of their car and truck hoods done, with the chipguard.